Monday, September 18, 2006

The trailer alone scares the piss out of me.



This is for an upcoming independent movie called Jesus Camp. It basically (and by the looks of it, even-handedly) chronicals a new trend in fundamentalist Christianity in the U.S., that of indoctrinating children into a political fundamentalism with the intended goal of raising them to assume leadership of the country. To me, it just looks like the flip side of what the radical Muslims are trying to accomplish in the Middle East - a hard-line, fundamentalist, theocracy.

I bet if this were translated into Arabic, one could dub over a video of a Pakastani terrorist training camp and send it to air on Al-Jazeera, and no one would be the wiser.

I hear, and have always heard, radical Christians proclaim that they've "found Jesus," or "let Jesus into their hearts," but I have little confidence that they know what that means, and even less that they would act upon it.

The more I think about, the more I am convinced that one cannot take another's word for something as important as one's faith. It is something that one must arrive at after much contemplation.

2 comments:

Swany said...

Yeah, I saw that trailer awhile back, and had a similar reaction. I'm not sure it's even developmentally possible for, say, a five year old to understand the implications of God, Jesus, or any concept of religion whether it be Christianity, Islam, or any other faith. I mean really, you're talking about KIDS, many of whom still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Now don't get me wrong. As a Christian, I'm always encouraged to see children take an interest in Jesus. But, faith should hold up to scrutiny, and I wonder how these kids will react when their faith is questioned later in life. I'm not sure unwavering faith that early on without really having the skills to analyze why you believe what you do really serves to glorify God. God gave us free will and thought so that we could understand why we have faith in his existence, omnipotent power, and love. To not use those gifts would put us at the level of animals. To not really question our own beliefs would be an even greater sin, in my opinion.

But perhaps a full viewing of the entire movie will paint another picture, and maybe I should be holding judgement until then.

Something else I noticed as I read through the official movie website--the three kids featured in this movie are all from Missouri! Oh, I love this state! ;-)

Dutch said...

Start circulating that rapture rumor around - I bet if it really gets going I could buy some property on the cheap.