Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th


So I figured I couldn't let this day pass without some mention about the fifth anniversary of 9/11. I'm still bewildered by how polarized the nation has become since that day. We've come from a bipartisan Congressional improptu singing of "God Bless America" on the Capitol steps in the immediate days after 9/11 to the political parties wrangling for superiority over the issues stemming from the 9/11 aftermath today. We've got movies memorializing the heroic efforts of passengers on United Flight 93 and the firefighters at ground zero to so-called documentaries saying this entire disaster was staged by the government. And even half the country believes the Bush and Clinton administrations are to blame, rather than placing the blame squarely on the terrorists who were responsible for these atrocious acts.

Five years after 9/11, and I don't feel like we've gotten anywhere. 9/11 was one of the worst tragedies in U.S. history, but I fear it's only uncovered one that's even worse. President Bush has become the "divider" he promised he never would be, and the Democratic Party has only helped in accentuating that chasm as much as possible. I don't know where this magical "uniter" will come from, but we sure need him/her now.

1 comment:

Dutch said...

You're not alone, Willie. Quite a few people in our country feel the same way. The time of a third party or even better, independants as viable candidates, is rapidly approaching.

I get really irritated with people who refuse to see beyond their party or liberal/conservative leanings. I hear the most venomous rhetoric from the ultra-conservatives (most likely because they have their own cable channel, dominate talk radio, and do books and lectures, while the rabid liberal is probably handing out pamphlets in their local head shop.)

I mean, I hear anti- "liberals and dems (democrats)" speeches on par or exceeding traditional hate groups like the Arryan Nation. The irony (or rather hipocracy) of the rabid conservative who calls the U.S. to yet another war because of the comments of the Iranian president drives me nuts.

And of course as I've mentioned before, Senator Clinton's obvious attmepts to paint all Republicans as slave owners, while not as vitriolic, as ultimately still harmful to our nation. Fanning the flames of Black American anger to garner votes is pretty low in my opinion.

I think independants would be great. It would be great to send a message to the two parties that if they can't work together, they can't work for us.