Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My wife, the ghetto dairy thief

I was tempted to call this a Wild Willie-esque act of frugality, but I have to admit that it's actually my wife who has become quite the sneak for dairy at our local espresso shops just to save a bit of moolah using the free moo juice. Instead of ordering up an iced breve, she'll instead order a shot or two of espresso, a free cup of ice to pour them over, and fill it up to the brim with complimentary half and half at the condiment counter. All in all, she probably saves a little over a buck. Guess this doesn't fly with the baristas in her dream city of Seattle.

Who knew baristas took this so seriously? A post on a blog called Starbucksgossip.com garnered 331 comments on the topic of "ghetto-lattes." And who knew there was so much Starbucks-related gossip? Boy, and I thought I posted a lot of superfluous stuff on my blog...

1 comment:

Dutch said...

The banality of that article is almost physically painful. I'm disheartened that there are websites dedicated to talking about what kind of coffee you drink. Wait, scratch that. I'm disheartened that there are websites dedicated to talking about what kind of coffee you drink and people are so serious about it.

It took me a while to figure out what a barista is. You know, if you put them in another store, they're called clerks.

This smacks of the kind of self-importance that I disdain in the fashion industry. I'm glad that my sense of identity isn't tied to my choice of morning beverage.

I read a few of the posts on the coffee blog. This last part has me befuddled:

"I applaud all these people for discovering loop holes. Let them get their free crap! God will judge them later I guess. (ha ha)"

First off, the end sentiment is anathema to the first. "I applaud you for your inventiveness, for I know your judgement cometh, and that right soon."

Second, if I will be judged by a God who would judge someone harshly for taking a bunch of the community half n' half at a Starbucks, then I am truly screwed.