Friday, September 15, 2006

Ohh how the mind kind wander

... especially with the help of the internet. Needing to actually accomplish some stuff today, I had planned on not spending much time on the blog. Low and behold, here I am blogging away.

It all started with a trip to Wikipedia to re-educate myself on the different surveying tools out there. I recently shot some elevations on a lot my brother-in-law is building a home on. We used a transit, but I was having trouble remembering what a theodolite was used for. Blah, blah, blah. I am probably boring everyone except Fandango with this (maybe Wankmaster is excited as well). Anyway, I still don't know because Wikipedia's featured article is on Jabba the Hutt. Always a sucker for things I thought were cool as a kid (which I still think are cool now), I decided to read what I already knew. You know ... for old time sake. This wandering train of thought has now led me here.

Who would have ever guessed that I would learn something new. Something about StarWars and something about real life. It turns out that Huttese is the lingua franca of galactic organized crime. Not one to pass up an opportunity to learn the short phrases from other langauges (e pluribus unum sort of thing), I wanted to know what lingua franca meant. Thanks to my lust for everything StarWars I can tell you that it is a language widely used beyond its native speakers. How cool is that?

4 comments:

Dutch said...

I guess that's like English being the lingua franca of business.

You know, I'm such a nerd (and goof-off) that I sometimes go to Wikipedia and read random articles.

Swany said...

Is there an actual dictionary for Huttese? We could write the whole blog in Huttese. Now that would be nerdy.

As far as Wikipedia, at least you're doing something semi-educational. Could be worse--you could have been the guy that did all the research and wrote the Wiki for Jabba the Hutt, Huttese, and all other aspects of the Hutts. Now that's goofing off.

There's a whole lot of nothing available on the Internet, as most of my blog posts can attest to. :-)

Swany said...

Wander, you nerd. You have a Huttese dictionary? Man, that's like the ultimate of nerdiness. You're like the king of nerds. No, no, the Buddha of nerds. No, no, the ultimate god of nerds...

Just kidding. Can you send me a copy? ;-)

Fandango6 said...

Willie,
you should just have just bought a handheld GPS unit, with an uplink to a computer.

i have a guy who has a gps strapped to his quad runner, can topo 40 acres in 20 minutes. upload, run a tin, do cut/fill calcs... oh, i'm a nerd going on and on here...