Friday, September 22, 2006

And this is bad?

My golf skills suck. I'm usually lucky if the ball actually goes forward rather than looping back over my head, so I feel for this guy in Japan. And he still didn't finish last:

Japanese golfer shoots 19 on par-3 hole
Reuters

TOKYO -- Superstitious or not, Japanese golfer Mitsuhiro Tateyama is likely to shudder whenever he comes across the number 19 in future after an horrific round Thursday at the Acom International.

Still, Tateyama could see the funny side after setting a Japanese record by taking 19 on a par-3 hole at the Ishioka Golf Club.

The 38-year-old found the rough with his second shot before hitting it into bushes where he took 14 shots to hack the ball out. At he least avoided three-putting.

It was the worst single-hole score since Norio Suzuki incorrectly signed for a 42, his nine-hole total, at a Japanese tournament in 1987. The previous worst for one hole was 15.

"There were more reporters around me than for the leader," joked Tateyama after his meltdown on the eighth. "That must be a world record or something."

Tateyama added: "My mind went blank. I lost count of the number of strokes I had. I couldn't even see the ball when it was in the bushes. I just wanted to get it out quick."

Tateyama, who has never won a Japanese tour title, finished with a 13-over-par 84 but surprisingly avoided carding the day's worst score after recovering with four birdies.

1 comment:

Fandango6 said...

my 2 times a year of playing, for the last 5 years, has me averaging about 9 shots a hole.
just horrible. i can remember, when i first got married, mrs. fandango had night classes for the masters work, and i would take to the links with my work collegues every week, and play until we could't see the ball.
i was averaging 6 1/2 shots a hole.
oh, the days of yore....