Tuesday, September 5, 2006

"Crocs not appropriate footwear"

My early apologies to anyone who reads this and wears Crocs--I'm not trying to offend you. Well, not really. If you're wearing them, the fashion police will be coming to your home to arrest you today:

So last week, I got this departmental email from the hospital with the subject line entitled, "Crocs not appropriate footwear." At first, I yelled an "AMEN!" in my head. I've been rather perplexed by the proliferation of these grotesque pieces of footwear. Comfort is one thing, but using them as a fashion piece really just defies logic. Even the Crocs website tries to convince you these things are something on par with Armani or Prada:


Now, comfort, lightweight, easy maintenance--I can understand using Crocs for these attributes. But "ultra-hip Italian styling?" I guess Jack Nicholson bought into the hype. He's taken a lot of flack for this picture:


I'm not trying to say people shouldn't wear what makes them comfortable. Even I tool around town in a pair of Birkenstock clogs or flip-flops once in awhile. And something could even be said about wearing these to make a statement that you're a noncomformist and won't buy into the superficial expectations of society, say as some do in Seattle wearing Tevas and socks to the opera. But I seem to see people flock around the Crocs stand at our local mall with conversations about how good these will look with the new pair of shorts they just bought, or the shirts they have in their closets.

Don't fool yourself. These things are butt-ugly. They started in Colorado, for Pete's sake! No fashion trend starts from the center of the U.S. and works it's way to the coasts. PLEASE--JUST SAY NO!

But I digress. Getting back to my email, it turns out the question was raised as to whether Crocs, with LARGE HOLES CUT THROUGHOUT, were appropriate footwear in the hospital where most employees are exposed to large amounts of VOMIT, BLOOD, URINE, POOP, etc. Now you would think with hospitals filled with fairly educated personnel like physicians and nurses, we would have the common sense to know that footwear with LARGE HOLES CUT THROUGHOUT would make them prone to exposure from potentially infected bodily fluids such as VOMIT, BLOOD, URINE, POOP, etc. Apparently, this question does not perplex my hospital alone, as OSHA has already addressed this issue.

4 comments:

Dutch said...

Yeah, the chic Italian styling is laughable. Of course, I have no idea what Italian styling looks like, so maybe I'm the boob here. Either way, I agree that they're ugly. Of course, I depend on the women in my life to dress me. Since I can no longer trust my mother to keep me within the current decade style-wise, my sister-in-law shoulders this burden alone.

Man, can I digress.

All I can saw Pimp, is don't get the anti-Croc bandwagon going to strong until my nephew gets old enough to put on his own shoes. Right now he either wants his Crocs or his cowboy boots, and getting cowboy boots on a three year old is no fun.

Swany said...

Nah, children are excluded from my rant, especially when they can't dress themselves. They have their own ideas of fashion sense, such as Elmo t-shirts, Bob the Builder sunglasses (as Fandango's kid likes to sport), and thinking moon boots in the winter are really cool.

Senior citizens should also probably be excluded, as well, although Jack Nicholson still deserves all the flack he got for getting photographed in public with those blue Crocs. There's no excuse for the filthy rich...

Rusty said...

Awesome! I thought I was the only one that thought these things were butt ugly! Thanks for letting me know that I am not along. Whew!

Jan said...

He's a friend of Wild Willie's sis and bro-n-law.