Saturday, September 16, 2006

I guess if this was The Price Is Right, she would have won...

I'd love for her to make a cut at a men's PGA Tour event, so I don't know why I feel compelled to rag on Michelle Wie. Perhaps because I don't want an ultra talented Asian girl mess up what could be a really bright (and possibly historic) future. She's probably got the skills to be as marketable as Tiger. She might even be able to kick ass on the men's PGA Tour, just not now. Coming in dead last at her latest attempt to compete with the men at the 84 Lumber Classic should tell her something.

Scott Verplank reiterated some of the sentiments I had on my last post about Wie:

"Obviously, she's some sort of phenom being a 16-year-old girl who can play like she can, but honestly there's not a male or female in the world who can compete out here at that age," Verplank said. "I'm sure there are some very fine 16-year-old boys who can play, but it would be awful hard for them to come out here and make a scratch. If I was her adviser, I would tell her to go kick all the ladies' tails around for about four years and if she wants to try again when she's 20, 21 and grown up more, and maybe a better player, come on back."

She's getting quite a bit of media attention with these multiple failed attempts, but it's beginning to feel like a game of crying wolf. I think she's used up the 15 minutes this bought her--it's time to get back to winning tournaments on her own turf for awhile.

3 comments:

Swany said...

Now if only I could figure out how to PLAY golf.

Dutch said...

Yeah, but do you really want to be that cliche', The doctor that plays golf?

(That is of course a joke. Or maybe not, since jokes are suppossed to be funny.)

Fandango6 said...

She is like Anika Sorensan. Similar skill, dominated the women's tour for a couple years, and next thing you know, she is playing the skins game with Sergio, Tiger, Fred Couples, and whoever else draws a TV crowd.

Send her back to the womens course, and let her dominate for a while.