Friday, October 6, 2006

Who Watches The Watchmen? I Will!


I've been waiting almost 20 years for a big screen adaption of 'The Watchmen'. Looks like I'll finally be getting it. Alan Moore is a lot like Frank Miller, other then both being comic writing gods, in that there work can either work spectacularly on the screen (Miller's 'Sin City' or Moore's 'V For Vendetta'), or not so well (Miller's 'RoboCop 2' or Moore's 'League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen'). It does depend quite a little bit on studio interference, and director, and so on I know... But we've seen that good comic adaptions can happen to good people. I'll hold out hope.

3 comments:

Swany said...

I was watching a featurette about the director of 300, Zack Snyder, who's apparently linked to the Watchmen big screen adaptation, according to the story you linked, Wander. What struck me was that the guy looked as young as me, if not younger. That's good in the sense that we can be confident that he "gets it" instead of someone like, say, Joel Schumacher trying to relive the campy days of Adam West's Batman. Snyder's young appearance also makes me feel like a lazy ass that hasn't accomplished much in his life so far, though.

Anywho, I'll be curious to see if Alan Moore ever gives his endorsement to this project, as he seems to have a pretty antagonistic relationship with the film industry. Contrast that to Frank Miller who has pretty much embraced the medium.

Oh, and as a self-professed comic book geek, I'm extremely embarrassed to say this--I've never read Watchmen. I will go hide back in my closet now and hope I won't be labeled as a poser.

Dutch said...

The Watchmen is one of the best if not the best comic stories ever written.

And we needed to wait 20+ years for this movie for the cgi technology and the willingness for movie studios to give it the budget it will need.

Rorsharch, baby! Rorsharch!

Oh, and Swany, what the filly dilly duck are you whining about? Have you forgotten what you do for a living? That's not an accomplishment?

Swany said...

Just me thinking about what my life might have been like. I still recall a time back at UT when my current career path wasn't going so smoothly, and I briefly flirted with the idea of becoming a Radio-Television-Film major.

I see a guy like this director make something on the scale of 300 and feel like I haven't accomplished something of that equivalent scale in my own work. But I'm not whining. Just trying to motivate myself.