Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Let's just buy them a Coke...

I know nothing about National Vanguard, but considering the not so subtle message of this ad that's been making the blog rounds, I'm not sure I want to learn. I had no idea that white people felt so oppressed.

Having grown up in West Texas, I think I've become a bit oblivious to the racism around me. That sounds like a really odd statement, I'm sure. The Texas Panhandle isn't exactly the epitome of tolerance in America. Maybe a more accurate way to say this, is that I've become numb to it all. Being the only one of a handful of Asian kids in school, it seemed the only way not to become significantly depressed was to try to blend in as much as possible and build up a tolerance to the occasional odd looks and stares. Luckily, I had good friends who never made race an issue. I still recall a random day when I was out with most of the Gang in Austin hiking out on the Barton Creek Greenbelt. I made some sarcastic remark highlighting my racial difference from the rest of the group, and Scootypuff said something to the effect of, "Wow! I don't think I ever really thought of you as my Asian friend. I just thought of you as my friend."

Having friends like these, it's easy to think that the world is a friendly, tolerant place where we can all get along in perfect harmony. Cue nostalgic Coca-Cola commercial. Nice to know that groups like National Vanguard still exist to remind me that quite a number of people in this country (and all over the world) are extremely ignorant, but are scarily intelligent enough to make commercials like these.

2 comments:

Dutch said...

"Where can white America go these days?"

Fracking anywhere, what do you mean? Hm, I hadn't heard about the National Vanguard, but then again I don't go searching for that kind of thing. I read a little of some of the articles, and I was surprised that they weren't overtly racist. But, they were racist nonetheless. It's kind like a Louis Farrakhan, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad type of racism where you know they are racist to their core, but they won't admit it. They figure if they smile enough you won't notice how much they contradict themselves.

Now, on the National Vanguard site I did see a link I recognized - Prussian Blue. This is a band fronted by two little blonde girls. I've checked out their catalog before, and again no songs titled "Let's Go Lynch a Darkie" or anything like that, but if you read their lyrics or listen to a few songs, you can recognize the racism.

The "poor down-trodden White American" song and dance is pretty pathetic. It's basically a people lamenting their loss of control of other ethnicities. I think it's the death cry of a dinosaur, but then again I'm the eternal optimist. What I think is really sad is how they talk about their Christian values. I would love to see how these people would react if they were to meet the real historical Jesus (and not know it), with his dark skin, brown eyes, and curly black hair, as was the racial characteristic of the Hebrews of biblical times. He certainly would be a far cry from the blue-eyed European depicted in every Christ portrait in America.

I wonder if their bibles have a bunch of white out marks in them?

Anonymous said...

It is my opinion that anyone who refers to people with black skin living in America as "African" is working under a misconception.

This is increasingly proven true on the National Vanguard website:

from "The Path We Chose"; an article written about Prussian Blue (you know, those two white supremacist girls who sing and dance and make money from that demographic)... here
they see Africans returning to tribal savagery in New Orleans after some wind and flooding -- and after many generations of living in America

Yes. Sure. Just disregard entirely the fallacy behind the "one drop" rule in the States. Yep. Makes perfect sense.