Sunday, October 8, 2006

I guess Dyson vacuums aren't the only things that don't lose suction...


Yeah, that's right. OU still sucks! What a roller coaster ride I had watching sports this weekend! A spectacular second half performance by the Longhorns to beat OU. Then a crazy Dallas vs. Philadelphia matchup culminating in a hearbreaking loss for the Cowboys. And finally, ending on a high here in St. Louis with the Cardinals moving on to the National League Championship Series. This weekend in sports is liable to drive me to drinking. I think I need a cigarette. But let's get back to the Texas-OU game...

Other than the lone touchdown by Texas, the first half of this game was looking to be some of the same conservative offensive game plan that Greg Davis has been using for most of the year. Repeated three and outs. Adrian Peterson seemingly getting stronger with each play--I was ready to pick up my TV and throw it out the window. Luckily, I've got a bad back and worried more about aggravating my herniated disc. Not really. It had more to do with laziness that even prevented me from calmly turning the TV off and leaving the house.

The second half, thankfully, showed what just about the entire state of Texas has been screaming at Mack Brown to do all year--open up the offense and give Colt McCoy some down-the-field plays. Granted, much of the win can be attributed to OU uncharacterstically shooting themselves in the foot with five turnovers, but you've got to admit that the Texas offense looked pretty good in the second half. Even the Texas secondary put together a respectable game. Where was all this heads up play before?

Call me crazy, but a small (very small) part of me wanted Texas to lose. Why? So I could put any hope of getting back to the National Championship game to rest. This roller coaster ride is just beginning...

Anywho, here's ESPN's take on the game:

It was over when... Redshirt freshman Colt McCoy connected with Jordan Shipley for McCoy's second TD in the third quarter. The score gave the Longhorns a 21-10 lead, which was enough to put the Sooners away.
Gameball goes to... McCoy, who looked poised and athletic during his first Red River Rivalry experience. He completed 11-of-18 passes for 107 yards and two scores in the Longhorns' win.
Stat of the game... 4: The Sooners turned the ball over five times (including one INT). Texas was able to convert one OU fumble into a TD, while not turning the ball over once.

1 comment:

Dutch said...

A whole what?

Or do you mean a hole?

HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME!