Sunday, October 29, 2006

I swear all those instant replays were the gods pausing their Playstation game to go get a Coke...


512 yards passing. 512! Graham Harrell threw for more yards than Texas accumulated with the pass and run combined! I knew this was going to be a messy game, but never in my wildest nightmares could I have imagined the Horns would give up those kind of numbers. I'm not even sure I've amassed that many yards playing Tecmo Bowl.

I know the secondary is a bit banged up, but giving up these kind of yards is really pathetic. I'm not sure which was more aggravating--the lack of any pass defense or all the reviewed calls. I almost feel bad for Mike Leach--in a perfect world, the Red Raiders probably deserved to win this one. But I guess this also goes to show that an offense just can't win big games being completely one dimensional. At least the Longhorn defense showed some dominance on the rush by holding Texas Tech to a net zero yards on the ground.

To think that going into this year, the biggest question mark was what the Longhorns would do without Vince Young. I'm just amazed at how Colt McCoy has stepped up to the challenge. Heck, he practically put up VY-type numbers tonight. He pretty much matched the running backs in rushing yards, and still had some amazing numbers in the air passing for 250+ yards and four touchdowns.

But, man, this defensive secondary really looked bad tonight. Next week against Oklahoma State is looking kind of scary...

The ESPN summary:

It was over when... Texas QB Colt McCoy scrambled 33 yards on third down and five, allowing Texas to kneel down twice for the win.
Gameball goes to... McCoy. The redshirt freshman was 21-of-31 for 256 yards and four touchdowns. McCoy also added 68 yards rushing.
Stat of the game... -1. While the Red Raiders did pass for 519 yards, they had practically no running game -- once stopped on a crucial fourth and inches late in the game -- rushing for minus-1 yards.

No comments: