Saturday, October 21, 2006

By the gods this is a frackin' good show!


Thanks to Netflix, I'm completely hooked on Battlestar Galactica. Man, what a great show. Great writing, great acting, a great human drama with an increasingly intricate plot and a promise of really profound insights ahead. And cool ass spaceships as a cherry on top. Nice and believeable physics and superb attention to detail (such as the little manuever thrusters on the vipers and the disregarding of ship attitude because their is no frame of reference for up and down in space.)

Also, where Star Trek failed by focusing on gooney pseudo-science, BSG focuses on character development including flaws and weaknesses, and ever complex regligious themes! (Is the Cylon plan to introduce monotheism?)

Really, just a brilliant show. I'm even starting to wonder if it might tie or even usurp Deadwood as my favorite, which I've claimed to be the best television series ever made. Without doubt, BSG is the best sci-fi television show ever made, and one of the best television shows and science fiction shows of any genre.

And I haven't even finished the first season!

Now, I'm sure you've all told me that this was a good show, so I know I'm not telling you anything new, but at least I can now say, "frack yeah!"

It's a good time to be a nerd.

(P.S. I think "frack" will be my new f-bomb.)

5 comments:

Swany said...

Since you're still getting through the first season, are you watching the new episodes?

After what I thought was a somewhat slow start with the season premiere, last night's installment gave me all kinds of satisfaction. It was frackin' awesome! About the only thing that disappointed me was Adama losing the Castillo-stache. I'm sure the wife was just staring at me like I turned into some trench-coated comic book geek or Klingon-spouting Trekkie as I jumped off my couch, yelled "WOOHOO!" and started applauding when Galactica comes in to save the New Capricans (which you could probably guess would happen, so I'm not giving any salient plot points away).

I'll have to give Deadwood a try one of these days. Maybe this winter when all the shows are on hiatus.

Dutch said...

Gah! No, I'm not watching the new stuff. Stop telling me!

Dutch said...

It would be difficult for me to get any further into the nerd category.

And no, a movie wouldn't come close because it could be three hours long, tops. This is a story to savor over many, many, hours - but not all at once.

W.M. Scratch said...

Frack the frackin frackers!

Swany said...

You're a smart guy, Scootypuff. I'm not giving anything away. But I just thought about something with Apollo, "Fat guy in a little coat. Fat guy in a little coat..."

Wild Willie, don't make fun of BSG credit cards. I know you have a Star Wars credit card, I just know you do!