Friday, October 6, 2006

Rivals

I was doing my morning read of the Austin American Statesman, and I came across something interesting. I don't read the Statesman for any other reason than Texas football, and this week is one of my favorites because it leads up to the TX vs. ou matchup which takes place in Dallas. Today, however, there was an article about a different rivalry - the one with eATMe.
Traditionally the Aggies will have a pep rally (called yell practice) the night before the game on the south steps of the Capitol building. What I have always loved about this rivalry in comparison to the one with ou is there exists a sort of hijinx with the wanna be soldiers. This year a Longhorn Hellraiser decided to reserve the south steps to the Capitol building for this years matchup leaving the Aggies high and dry. They have to change up their tradition, which they place about as much importance on as Jesus. Some of these traditions are good and some are not (like the corps squeezing their testicles). I believe it to be a solid move and perhaps even a classic one. You can read the article here.

1 comment:

Swany said...

Ha! Seriously, I didn't even know about this Aggie "tradition" on the south steps. I have a whole new respect for the Hellraisers.