Friday, October 27, 2006

I may have lost all respect for Marvel Comics...


I guess comic book studios need to innovate and pursue various avenues to increase readership, but this one had me scratching my head. In hopes of, I guess, attracting thirtysomething stay-at-home soccer moms into the comic book genre, Marvel Comics has a new tie-in promotion with the CBS soap opera Guiding Light. Marvel superheroes will be visiting the town that this soap takes place just in time to see the introduction of a Guiding Light character that will gain superpowers on the TV show.

I understand the desire to increase feminine readership, but you'd think they would try going after a slightly younger and hip female crowd. But maybe I'm unaware of some huge underground sorority-led Guiding Light cult just waiting for some excuse to read comics.

I can't wait for a Wolverine cameo on future soaps, maybe The Bold and the Beautiful:

Brooke: Logan, I can't believe you're giving up on our relationship.

Wolverine: Well, you should have thought about that before you slept with Rogue!

Brooke: That wasn't my fault! She touched me in ways that only she could. It just sucked the life out of me. I was powerless to resist her.

1 comment:

Dutch said...

Marvel really needs to get busy on producing their own movies instead of just collecting the licensing fees.