Saturday, January 6, 2007

What would life have been had we all became comic book artists?

Marvel Girl by Matt Kindt

Last night, the wife and I went to the opening of an art exhibit at the Mad Art Gallery here in St. Louis. Called Famous Fictional: Portraits from Comics and Fiction, a number of artists were asked to submit a character from literature and one from comic books in painted, illustrated, or sculpted form.

I've never actually attended an exhibition opening, but was glad to have caught this one, especially with it's interest in comics. My favorite piece (shown above) was actually not shown in the gallery, but rather was commissioned as an advertisement for the exhibition printed in St. Louis Magazine. At my wife's coaxing, I actually was able to meet the artist, Matt Kindt, who explained that he actually drew the picture while on a book signing tour in Paris. The scene is from his vantage point sitting in the bookstore, if I'm not mistaken. He couldn't decide on a comic book character to incorporate into the picture, but decided on Marvel Girl upon the suggestion of the Mad Art Gallery owner. The image is small, but notice the levitating book she's reading, as well as Cyclops pushing Professor X in his wheelchair in the background--very cool! Cyclops and Marvel Girl basically got me started on comics after I picked up my first copy of X-Factor at the local Safeway (or was it already a Homeland by then) with Scootypuff back in the day. Needless to say, I had to get a signed copy of this picture which is now hanging on my wall.

Give Matt Kindt's website a perusal in your free time. He seemed like a friendly guy (which I sometimes find unusual in this city) and he's got a nice free online comic called Super Spy that's worth a read. I've never really given alternative comics a shot--perhaps I'll try reading some now.

And my thanks to my beautiful and thoughtful wife who told me about this exhibit in the first place!

No comments: