Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Well, as long as I remember that torture is bad...

I hope someone here caught the four hour season premiere of 24 over the past couple of nights. Kiefer Sutherland went all The Lost Boys nostalgic on us, and started chomping down on necks. And the end to last night's episode? Can you believe they actually...well, I shouldn't give anything away. You can read about it here.

The article above, though, mirrored some thoughts I had about 24 as I was watching it Sunday night. Is it really OK to be watching this as entertainment? This sort of plays into Wander's favorite hot button issue of late, video games and violence. Every living terrorist has probably already thought about how they could use the various devices shown in current and prior seasons of 24, so does it really give anyone any new ideas to show them on television? And does the fact that the show brings out relevant topics to discuss in the public discourse justification enough that I sort of get a twinge of satisfaction when a terrorist gives up major information as he's tortured with a knife being dug into his knee?

24 is an odd show. Republicans love it, as it seems to play into the fears of terrorism that are the highlights of the Fox News Channel, and almost seems to justify every preemptive action the United States has taken in the name of the war on terror. But surprisingly, Dems are watching it in droves, too. Shadow governments, clandestine organizations led by western oil interests pulling the strings on their bumbling puppet President--seems like all that Michael Moore paranoia isn't so far-fetched anymore.

Oh well. I'll keep watching. It's addictive. My only problem, though? Heroes is on at the same time! Crap. Thank goodness for those Friday Heroes reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, was Heroes on last night and I missed the Winter premiere? Second, for my last birthday I got the first season of 24 on DVD. I recorded the last 2 night's of 24, but I need to ask if this is a show that you need to watch season by season? Does each season build on the next? I know that each episode does (24 hours in one day), but would I be safe wtching season 1 and then watching this season?

Swany said...

Heroes was not on last night, but the second half of the season starts back up next week. Unfortunately, I have an old TiVo that doesn't have a dual tuner, so I can't record two shows at once.

As far as watching all the seasons of 24 in order, you don't necessarily have to, but you do miss out on some geek-out moments when you see a character come back (or get killed off, as is pretty common in this show), and you might miss a couple of minor plot points. Still, I'd probably watch the current season, and catch up with the rest later, as it's pretty hard to keep yourself sheltered from all the spoilers that are bound to be littered across the internet or other news outlets. Each season's plot is fairly contained, and doesn't require knowledge of previous seasons to follow what's going on.

The good thing about waiting until it's all out on DVD, though, is you don't have to wait a whole week to find out what happens. These mini-cliffhangers are killing me! The bad thing is that you end up staying up till 4:00 AM because you keep telling yourself, "Oh, just one more episode, and then I'll go to bed."

W.M. Scratch said...

New ideas...??? I learned today that the six men accused in attempted suicide attacks on London's transit system, planned to do so with with bombs made of hydrogen peroxide and flour.

Scary thought.

Dutch said...

Unfortunately, I have an old TiVo that doesn't have a dual tuner, so I can't record two shows at once.

Holy crap, Fred Flintstone! Why don't you get with the times?

Flour and hydrogen peroxide? Were they making a bomb or biscuits with highlights?