Saturday, January 6, 2007

I know I shouldn't like it, but I do...

In response to Wild Willie's question:


After my comments to Wander's last post about video game violence, I'm almost ashamed to admit that I really enjoy watching Entourage (at least what I've been able to see of it for free on the internet--makes me feel doubly naughty). Prevalent marijuana use, sexual promiscuity complete with plenty of one night stands with smoking hot babes and a menage-a-trois, gluttonous shopping sprees for exotic Italian cars and other extravagant toys--heck, I could probably name an example of all seven of the deadly sins in any episode. This certainly can't be good for my perceptions of what's righteous in this world. But I guess we all sort of find a voyeuristic entertainment value in watching things that we can't really experience ourselves. I guess sin is supposed to feel good at some base level--it wouldn't take so much self discipline not to fall into those temptations if they weren't.

At the center of the show, though, is genuine friendship. Despite all the craziness of Hollywood life, Entourage still manages to find some heart watching these four young men bond, and does it in some pretty amusing ways. You get the sense that even if all the money and fame dried up, these guys would still be best buddies for life, kinda how I feel about you guys in the Gang. Perhaps this is why Entourage connects with guys in the same way Sex and the City caught on with so many women--we all just want to have that core group of friends we know we can depend on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and you have to admit that Ari Gold is wonderful to watch and cheer for.

Dutch said...

Sorry Swany, but when all our fame, chicks, and money dries up I'm ditching you guys.

Wander said...

I totally missed out on the pot and menagerie twas! Where was I?