Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Man, I should really be working, but this is SO exciting...

Sometimes I wonder if Bill Gates left his post at Microsoft not because he wanted to help save the world from poverty, hunger, and disease, but more to hide the fact that Steve Jobs was kicking his ass in the innovation department. I'm currently following live coverage of MacWorld 2007 where Steve Jobs just announced the iPhone during his keynote address. I'm pretty flabbergasted by what's packed into this little thing so far, and I'm sure I'll be posting more details about this breakthrough device soon. iPod, mobile phone, and internet browser in one with a full touchscreen that uses finger touches and gestures rather than a stylus. They even fit Bluetooth AND wi-fi into one small little package. This is like everything I dreamed about having in a device ever since I bought my first PDA from the now defunct Handspring company nine years ago. Makes me regret committing to a two year contract for my most recent Blackberry Pearl. Ugh.

To think Microsoft had such high hopes for the Zune. This thing makes the Zune look about as technologically behind the curve as my old Sony Walkman that played tapes. I think they should stick to software.



Update: HOLY COW!! The iPhone and demonstrations of all its features are now up on the Apple website. Hope everyone bought some Apple stock prior to this.

No comments: