Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Frackity, frack, frack, frack!


I just had to comment about what a surprise last Sunday's episode of Battlestar Galactica was. I had actually gotten pretty tired of the whole Dee/Lee/Starbuck/Anders love rectangle storyline, and was not looking forward to this show as much as I typically do after seeing the previews. Then I saw "Directed by Edward James Olmos" during the opening credits, and thought, "Hmmm. This might actually be good."

The intercuts between Baltar's mental torture and Apollo battling his own inner conflict seemed to really work in a way that I wasn't expecting. About the only thing I didn't like about the show was all the "Frack, frack, frack" being yelled out. Not that I'm opposed to a little cussing, but sometimes I hear "frack" and kind of feel like a total science fiction nerd.

I don't know if any of you ever listen to Ronald D. Moore's podcast commentaries about each episode, but I usually download it to my iPod every week and listen to it on my way to and from work. Apparently, "Taking a Break From All Your Worries" was supposed to focus more on the bar and be kind of a light, comedic episode, as suggested by the title's reference to Cheers. Considering how dark this episode turned out, that's a huge shock.

1 comment:

Tinsie said...

A light, comedic episode, you say?! I dread to think what a dark, dramatic one looks like!!!

Seriously though, it's a great show. I used to listen to RDM's podcasts and really enjoyed them. I've not done so in a while, so I'm off to download the latest one. Thanks for the reminder :-)