Thursday, January 11, 2007

"I write comic books with naughty words in them"

I know that myself or Swany have mentioned the blog Pop Candy by Whitney Matheson, and I am referencing it again. She listed a link to Comic-book writer -- Brian K. Vaughan ("Y - The Last Man") MySpace page where he posted advise about how to break into comics. I know that there are some great ideas in us all, and some that Scooty and Wander have been working on for years. Anyway, I found the advice solid and refreshing. He also provides a link that lists every small to midlevel publisher out there that accepts unsolicited submissions, even if there's no artist attached to the project: http://comiccreatorservices.blogspot.com/.


Brian is also going to be writing for Lost in the future.

4 comments:

Swany said...

Unfortunately, I think Wander and Scootypuff are suffering from "writer's block."

And as Vaughan says in his blog, "Oh, and 'writer's block' is just another word for video games. If you want to be a writer, get writing, you lazy bastards."

Kidding, guys.

Despite all the love it gets on Pop Candy, I have yet to read an issue of Y: The Last Man simply because I think the art inside is horrendous. The cover art is very misleading as to the quality inside, but I guess that's common for just about all comics these days.

I have picked up a few issues of Ex Machina and Runaways, though, and can agree that Brian K. Vaughan is a damn good comic writer.

Dutch said...

I think that with the crossover of comics and other more mainstream media (i.e. Joss Whedon), comics may finally get some recognition as something other than a kids medium.

And I have written several stories on my hobby site. Well, I've written three, but two of them were very long ones. And there are essays, reports, and how-to articles, so nah.

Wander said...

I submit several letters to Penthouse Forum every month.

Swany said...

Yeah, I read them every month.

It's for the articles, I swear!

Oh, and nice profile picture and description.