Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I am how old, again? And are you an expert?

This last week I had the opportunity to open up my wallet and in return find out how old I am. I went through some physical tests that showed my true body age to be 34. Not too bad but it would be nicer if my body age was my actual chronological age. But then I was also told that I could achieve a body age of 22 by doing various things relating to my health. I can improve my weight, eating habits, and flexibility to name a few.

The tests measured all sorts of things, but was designed around telling you how many toxins you have in your body based on your excess water weight. It was all very convincing and scientific sounding. The quick rundown is that your body uses your liver to rid itself of toxins, but when the liver gets overworked it sends the toxins back into your body to be removed later. The toxins get stored around fat cells which then get surrounded by water to protect your body from the stored toxins. Essentially, those fat cells surrounded by water are there to stay until your liver can get back to normal functioning. This becomes weight that you cannot get rid of unless you rid yourself of the toxins in the liver. This is why you see the push for detox diets, foods, supplements, etc. in health stores today. I am inclined through my logic and scientific thinking that this is mostly believable.

We get these toxins from the air, food, water, medicines, stress, and skin. I can believe all of them, but the last one - skin - I at least have to question. I was told by the fitness "expert" that we absorb toxins through our skin. We get it from shampoo, lotions, sunblock, soap, etc. I can believe this, but I still have to raise the question, how much can our skin really absorb? Her take was that if you can sweat out toxins, then the other has to be true that you can absorb them?

I am not here to say that our skin cannot absorb stuff, but my fear is that so many people out there hear something like this and immediately believe it. If you think about how many personal trainers and fitness experts there are, it can be kind of scary to think how much misinformation they could spread. I cannot contract viruses through my skin can I? Can I absorb water through my skin? I could go on and on asking these sorts of questions.

I guess though that ultimately she was doing what she has been trained by the world to do - sell you the fear so she can sell you the product ... for only $308. I am glad I am not a sucker. Now let me get back to my detox green tea and my organic cereal and milk.

4 comments:

Swany said...

If you're 34, I'm terrified to think what my true body age would be.

Hmmmm. The liver is a pretty efficient organ. I'm not sure it can easily be "overworked" unless perhaps you're W.M. Scratch. ;-)

I'm going to tread lightly on any criticism I have, as I know a certain person in this group is related to a naturopath, but I'll just say I always have a bit of skepticism in regards to homeopathic remedies. I think there's some validity to some. Heck, quite a few of the conventional medications we have used and continue to use are based on naturally occurring plant and herbal materials. But if everything they were selling really worked, why can't they test it in a double-blinded, placebo controlled study and stand up to the rigors that conventional medications do?

Many proponents of homeopathy will point to anectodal observations that their natural remedies work. What they don't say, though, is how powerful the placebo effect really is, as has been proven by numerous studies in scientific literature. Unfortunately, I can't give a citation at the moment, so I'll shut up now.

Anonymous said...

Intersting. So if the liver is hard to get overworked, is it possible to maybe get filled up to the point where it can't handle the toxins coming down the pipe?

Do you happen to know if there is any validity to the idea that toxins surround fat cells which then get surrounded by water?

Swany said...

Well, I'm no gastroenterologist. I'm just a rockstar cheetah that likes to partake in cheesy snacks, so my knowledge of the liver only relates to hoping that mine can make enough bile to absorb all the fat I'm ingesting from my Cheetohs while still having enough juice left over to metabolize that ice cold Bud I washed it down wtih.

I'm sure there are some lipophilic toxins that could collect in adipose tissue, and as a result, get covered by water, but I'm still a bit skeptical that there is such a tight "bottleneck" at your hepatocytes to promote such toxin overspill. I could be wrong. Again, this isn't my area of expertise. But considering how big the diet industry is these days, you'd think if it was just a matter of cleansing your liver to lose weight, one of the big pharmaceutical companies or even an HMO trying to reduce skyrocketing health care costs from secondary complications related to coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, or any other weight-related medical condition would have jumped all over that.

Until then, keep drinking up that green tea. I think there's some emerging evidence supporting that, although I'm not sure it has to do with detoxing your liver. And I'm not so sure organic cereal is any better for you than a bowl of Cheerios.

W.M. Scratch said...

I have the Arnold Schwarzenegger of livers. Not the old, flabby, Maria Schiver loving, govenator... but the young, ripped, steriod filled, panty chasing, barbarian.

My liver knows what is best in life... "To crush your enemy, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." It fears no toxin.

I will probably always side with the physician on this one, particularly since every doofus on reality TV happens to be personal trainer/ fitness expert/ nutritionist / backup dancer.