Thursday, January 11, 2007

He's bending it Stateside...

I haven't heard much from Fandango in awhile, so maybe a little soccer news will bring him out of hiding.

Looks like Major League Soccer is going to get a major boost in its star appeal with the signing of David Beckham to the L.A. Galaxy. I'm not exactly sure how exciting his play will actually be, considering he's been benched most of the season on his current team, Real Madrid, but I'm sure his presence will put some extra people in the seats. I mean, c'mon--not even Pele or Maradona had a movie named after them.

Oddly, I've never really followed MLS, but I feel intrigued enough to consider buying a couple of tickets to some Galaxy games. Damn, the marketing is working already!

2 comments:

W.M. Scratch said...

If I read it right - $250 million over 5 years! They must be hoping he builds a real market for MLS. Don't know if he's worth that (unless they can make another movie with his name in it).

Swany said...

Yup. The soccer ball isn't the only thing Beckham is bending these days. Apparently, the MLS had to bend a little salary cap rule to get this deal through.