Monday, January 29, 2007

Uh, I go there for the cappucinos. Honest. That's all...

Most of you know that I like my espresso. It's become a staple of my diet alongside bread and water, and I probably visit a cafe or coffee bar at least three times a week. At peak times during the morning, this can be a somewhat hectic ordeal, but having a pretty and flirty barista (or handsome and charming one, for the lady readers) to take your order can sometimes partially salvage what was going to be a really lousy experience.

Admitting that, I guess it's no surprise that in the cutthroat coffee competition that exists in Seattle, a few coffee shops would recognize this, turn it up a notch, and use a little sex appeal to sell a cup o' joe:

Hot is not the half of it. To stand apart from the hordes of drive-through espresso stands that clutter the Northwest's roadsides, commuter coffee stops such as Tukwila's Cowgirls Espresso are adding bodacious baristas, flirty service and ever more-revealing outfits to the menu.

At Port Orchard's Natté Latté, baristas sport hot-pink hot pants and tight white tank tops. Day-of-the-week theme outfits ranging from racy lingerie to "fetish" ensembles are the dress code at Moka Girls Espresso in Auburn and at several Cowgirls Espresso stands in the area. Bikini tops are the special at Café Lorraine on Highway 9 in Woodinville, and the women of The Sweet Spot in Shoreline pose provocatively in Playmate-style profiles on the stand's Web site.
I'm just wondering if the coffee is actually any good.

2 comments:

Dutch said...

That news story needs more pictures. I'm pissed.

Wander said...

As a Starbucks store manager for nearly a year and a half, I had to call an ambulance three times for a barista who had freshly brewed coffee sloshed on them and burned. One poor girl had such severe burns on her face and neck she couldn't work for nearly two months. And, I'll be the first to admit I hired the best looking applicants, both male and female, and was encouraged to (and as my store was in a Big 12 college town, they were never in short supply). But no matter how much such gimmicks may have helped the bottom line, I never would have risked having a barista with a bikini zone burn... ever.
Now as a patron, oh hells yes I'd go in there for that action!