Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I don't know why I, like, watch this show, but like, I do...


Normally, I secretly find some amusement in my wife's so-called chick shows. I don't object to watching Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, or even a few episodes from her complete Sex and the City DVD collection. But I thought I might have to draw the line at her most recent guilty pleasure, MTV's The Hills, a reality show following the trials and tribulations of Lauren Conrad and her friends as they struggle to "make it" in the real world environment of Teen Vogue and the Los Angeles social scene. Actually, "real world" is probably stretching things a bit, but I guess this is the harsh reality of life for some people--driving around in fancy cars, eating at fancy restauraunts, shopping at fancy stores, scmoozing at fancy clubs, living in fancy beach houses for the summer, and all the while struggling to understand why the world is so cruel because your boyfriend just doesn't, like, get you.

I sat next to her while she watched the season premiere thinking I'd be bored out of my mind. Then I laughed. And kept laughing. I'm not sure it's really good of me to be making fun of those with IQ's that border on mental retardation, but I swear this show fulfills every known stereotype you ever heard about blonde women. Then again, it could all be a hoax, and their IQ's are probably somewhere in the genius range, for all I know. Perhaps the best part of the show isn't the women at all, but the men they hook up with, and the things these guys get away with. They use some of the cheesiest pick up lines ever known, AND THEY WORK! I guess that's what the power of money can do.

Actually, I think this show should be required viewing for all teenage boys and girls on how not to be when they become young adults. Or perhaps I'm just jealous that lines like [using best So-Cal surfer dude accent], "There's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be than with you, right here, right now, drinking the best margaritas at this table at my most favorite Mexican restaurant in the universe," don't seem to get my woman all hot and bothered.

1 comment:

Dutch said...

Whenever I encounter people like that, I have a secret fantasy where I have them boxed up and sent to a third world country for three or four months. Nothing like a few months in abject poverty to get your priorities straight.