Sunday, January 28, 2007

Smokin' Aces


Tellulah and I went to see the film Smokin' Aces last night. It is violent, drug filled, obscenity laced, over the top, and one of the few films I've walked out of the theater thinking 'God, I wish I had written that.' Granted, with the choices of seeing any of the Oscar nominated films out there I haven't yet seen like Dream Girls, or The Queen, I chose instead a film filled with muzzle flashes says something about my character. But this film is on par with Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas in everyway. The soundtrack is great (already bought it and put it on my IPod) and Jeremy Pivens turns in the role of his career. He is incredible as the burnt out coked up hooker addicted magician mob crime boss turned states evidence. Ben Affleck, who I like but am not by any means crazy about, also turns in a strong, albiet short, performance. Alicia Keys is showing the career she will have to come, and it will be a good one. And Ryan Reynolds (who I've liked since the 'Two Guys A Girl And A Pizza Place' days) and Ray Liotta (who is one of my favorite actors) have great chemistry as two FBI Agent partners. My only complaint is that no trailer I've seen, or commercial on TV, has conveyed the depth, complexity, and nuances of the film. It has all of that and the three chainsaw weilding, red neck hit men called the Tremor Brothers, who as characters are so over the top, so violent, so larger then life, they are almost cartoony... And God I wish I had written them, too.

6 comments:

Dutch said...

The Houston Chronicle gave it only a half-star. I was going to skip it, but I'll have to check it out now.

Of course, I need to be in the right frame of mind before I do. If I'm in a "wrong" (normal) frame of mind, I hate movies like Pulp Fiction and the like. If I can disconnect, I can appreciate the nuances to which you're referring.

It also doesn't suprise me at all about Alicia Keyes. Musically she pretty much has talent oozing from her pores. (Even though I'm not a die-hard fan, I can recognize her brilliance.) I expected her to have acting talent as well.

Dutch said...

I forgot to add that I expected Jeremy Piven to do well. He's one of those used-to-be character actors who you knew would build himself with small roles until his stars align and he gets a role in which he will shine, because now he is ready. (For Piven, it must have been his magic hair implants!) David Paymer and Brad Dourif are two others like Piven.

Swany said...

I thought I was the only one who watched Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place. I was a big fan of Ryan Reynolds back then, myself, and am kind of surprised at the direction his acting career has gone, from acting alongside an English bulldog with huge testicles in comedies like Van Wilder to becoming a poster boy action star playing alongside established Hollywood names in movies like Blade: Trinity, and now Smokin' Aces.

I haven't seen Smokin' Aces yet--couldn't convince the wife to go. I was a bit hesitant like Scooty, as well, after reading some reviews. But considering how good Joe Carnahan's last movie Narc was, and now this endorsement, I think I'll need to sneak off and see it sometime.

Dutch said...

Hey Swany, if you drive down here I'll go see it with you. :D

Wander said...

Just as an update... It's been a few days since seeing it now, and I have to say, it's been a long time since a film stayed on my mind this much. Something about it really struck a chord with me, and I think what it is, is the incredible characters. They are each so fully realized in their screen time. And there are several scenes that are staying with me, that I am still so envious I didn't write them. One with Jeremy Piven realizing alone in the bathroom, staring at himself in the mirror, what a mess he's made of his life. His performance and the music is just jarring. Another, involving Ryan Reynolds left with the aftermath of a gun fight between hit men of all calibers and FBI agents that could not have gone worse for either side... If you're a Ryan fan (like Swany and I... No surprise to me there dude) it will absolutley gut punch you. He is on a whole new level in this film.
My verdict: I am going to see it again. No doubt. Now hopefully you guys will like it too.

Swany said...

Snuck out and saw Smokin' Aces this afternoon. As Wander, I liked it. I kind of thought it was more in the realm of some of those Guy Ritchie British gangster movies like Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch. There was a lot going on, though, and I may have to watch it again to really understand how they wrapped the movie up.

As I've said before, though, I always wonder where my head is when I actually enjoy watching people get obliterated by a .50 caliber long range sniper rifle. Ah, but why question it?

As I was thinking about Wander's comments regarding Jeremy Piven's role, I realized that this may be the first time I've ever seen him do anything non-comedic. Maybe the oddest thing about this movie is that almost every actor cast in this movie is playing way against type. Comedians Ryan Reynolds and Jeremy Piven doing drama? Ben Affleck and Alicia Keys as assassins? Ray Liotta as a good and honorable guy? Andy Garcia as a southerner (at least I think that's the accent he was trying for)? Booger as a lawyer? Crazy.