Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Even better than a Kraft Easy Mac...

As a kid, probably a quarter of my diet was made up of ramen noodles. My mother would buy a huge box from the Asian market that would have dozens and dozens of ramen bricks available to make an easy meal that even a little 10 year old could cook up. And even when I was too lazy to boil up some water, they often were pretty tasty just eating them dry. Ramen was perhaps the only thing that my dad ever figured out how to prepare in the kitchen. In fact, I think he subsisted on ramen noodles mixed up with an egg for almost a month straight when my mother left to go visit her family. Now as an adult, my own cupboards are still filled with bricks, and are still the go-to food when hunger's got me in a corner.

So it was sad to read that the inventor of the modern ramen noodle, Momofuku Ando, died last Friday. Truly a great loss to the world and modern civilization as we know it.

No comments: