Friday, July 27, 2007

Want to know what happens to Harry after the book?


I still haven't read any of the Harry Potter books. By the time I even thought about picking up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, it was being made into a movie. Typically a film adaptation never lives up to the original book source, so I usually find myself disappointed whenever I read a book prior to seeing the movie. Strange reason not to read the books, but I guess I just wanted to enjoy the movies first, figuring I could read the whole series later on with the expectation that the experience would only grow in the printed medium.

As a result, I can't quite relate to all the hoopla regarding the recent release of the seventh and final book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but I figure some of you must be rabidly turning the pages right now (if you haven't finished it already). So for you Harry Potter fans, J.K. Rowling was on The Today Show with some additional details about what happens after the book ends. Be warned, the link is apparently filled with plenty of spoilers--even I didn't read it.

As far as the picture up top, I'm not sure it really relates to the topic of this post. Just thought it was a funny picture.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the first one a while back. Back in my single days (early twenties)there was a girl that taught 2nd or 3rd grade or something that I wanted to impress, so when she asked me to come and read to her classroom I said yes.

She had me reading from the first one to her classroom. She was so impressed with my sensitivity and I guess my ability to read aloud that she had all her students sign a copy and give it to me.

So I read it and pretty much flew through it because the reading level was pretty low. I enjoyed it, and I am sure the reading level has advanced some, but if you really want some good fun books like this to read, you should pick up the Artemis Fowl books. Those are good, and Swany there are no movies coming out to encourage your non-reading. There was talk of some movies at one time, but I am not sure what happened to them.

Swany said...

I just looked up "Artemis Fowl" on Wikipedia. The author apparently summed up the series as "Die Hard with fairies." I'm hoping he means the magical kind.

And hopefully that girl was impressed with how you read with such passion instead of just being impressed that you could read. If it was the latter, that doesn't say much for her taste in men.

Tinsie said...

I love the Harry Potter books, I just finished the last one :-) IMO the film adaptations are very successful, they're extremely close to the book in content as well as essence. Great stuff.

Wander said...

You know I read the first one back in '99 after being told by a work associate I'd love it. And I did. I read the next 3 as soon as they came out. But I haven't read the last few at all, and I'll tell you why. They may be brilliantly written, with a fantasy world so complete and compelling that it is Star Wars for a new generation, but I'll tell you this. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOO depressing. You like a character, that character will die. She lost me when she killed Sirious Black. He should have been the hero of the entire series.

Katie said...

It is a funny picture.

the books are great, much better than the movies. but like you said that is usually the way it goes. At least now that book seven has come out you don't have to wait to know the end.