Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Feeling like a kid in a toy store again...


Giant f*ckin' robots! That was Michael Bay's unofficial tagline for Transformers, and that's exactly what he delivered, exclamation point included. You'd had to have been a hermit to not have felt the bombardsdment of hype and advertising for this film. This blog even added a few posts on the topic. So with me being in between jobs, and my wife showing absolutely no interest in watching this movie, I went and caught the first showing of Transformers today at noon. I had my reservations of a Bay-helmed adaptation of this project, but I've got to admit that no one blows up stuff and catches it on film like Michael Bay. Adding Steven Spielberg to the mix as executive producer, too, made me a bit more comfortable that bringing the Transformers to the big screen might actually work.

To summarize the plot in a nutshell, Sam Witwicky (Shia Labouf) is a teenager on the lower rungs of the social ladder who desperately wants to get his hands on his first car. The beat-up Camaro that he finds turns out to be a robot named Bumblebee, part of an alien race of transforming robots at war over the search for a cube of ultimate power called the All-Spark. Sam, unwittingly, holds the map leading to the cube and becomes wrapped up in the battle against the Decepticons as he, with the help of the Autobots, fight to save Earth.

So what did I think of it all? In one word--awesome. Yup, you read that right. I thought Transformers was awesome. I can't even believe I'm using that word to describe a Michael Bay movie, but his distinctive over-the-top style fit perfectly with big ol' robots battling out on the silver screen. Perhaps I should be thanking George Lucas and Industrial Lights and Magic instead, because the special effects were just seamless. Never in the movie did I think that the Transformers didn't look real.

Even on an emotional level, I felt something, which is odd considering that this is, again, a Michael Bay movie. Typically, he uses human storylines as an excuse to essentially show some stylized music video within the movie, but here I thought I got just a faint connection between Sam and Bumblebee by the end, and that's an accomplishment. I mean, really, who thought Bumblebee was cool back when you played with the toys? I only remember him because he was the cheapest one in the store. After this movie, though, you'll think he was the coolest Autobot of them all. Maybe credit should be given to Shia Labouf for giving the audience a viable human connection to all that was going on in the movie or perhaps it was just nostalgia for the old cartoon from the 80's, I don't know. I mean, when we're actually introduced to the rest of the Autobots for the first time, I actually got giddy. Peter Cullen reprising his voice-over roles for Optimus Prime? I think I got chills.

Obviously, there's some things not to like in this movie. The generic musical score by Steve Jablonsky is pure over-the-top Michael Bay, and ends up giving me flashbacks of films I'd rather forget. Some of the dialogue, although it didn't have me cringing in my seat and feeling embarrased to even be sitting in the theater watching, was a bit corny. Characters, other than Sam, weren't well developed at all. We only get a glimpse of the relationship between the Autobots, and even less about the Decepticons. Even when Megatron is finally revealed, we never really grasp his level of ultimate evil, so the showdown between him and Optimus Prime doesn't carry the sense of urgency that it does to be considered a real climax.

But all those things are minor when you consider what this movie is--a summer blockbuster popcorn flick. To expect Oscar-worthy drama would be raising the bar for a film based on a line of toys, for Pete's sake, way too high. This movie was a spectacle, pure eye candy, and still a lot of fun.

Finally, I didn't mention anything about the non-technological eye candy. I learned two things about women while watching this movie:

  1. Male computer nerds will always look just like that--male computer nerds. Overweight, messy hair, goattees, appear to have not bathed in a couple of days. Hugh Jackman in Swordfish is perhaps the only time this hasn't been the case. Female computer nerds, however, will always be smoking hot. Always. Any movie. However, they'll usually have a piercing or tattoo to signify that they're smarter than they look.
  2. No matter what they tell you or what you read, remember this--women dig fast cars.
**** (out of *****) although I don't know if I'm giving it high marks because its the only movie of the summer that's lived up to the hype, or if I'll still like it this much after a second viewing. Speaking of which, I already found a pirated copy streaming over the internet tonight. Maybe I'll watch it again right now! ;-)

5 comments:

Dutch said...

Yeah, I saw it last night,too. I liked it - I concur with most of Swany's assessment. I think it also had some good humor in it. The thing most lacking was the relationships between the robots. But, considering how unbelievably real they all looked, and how seamlessly the real life actors interact with them, I'm sure more robot time in the movie would have cost incredibly more time and money.

The two hotties in it were fricken' unbelievable. Like Aphrodite incarnate unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

I saw it yesterday on the 4th, and I loved it. It was so fun and entertaining that it made me feel like a kid again. I want to go visit a few of the toy stores today to check out what you can buy. I would guess that I would be disappointed with the new toys though because what I loved about them when I was younger is how heavy they were. They were made of metal and not plastic. I have a feeling they would be plastic today.

The film was great, but like Swany said it is not any sort of Oscar material with the exception of the special effects. They were so good that I didn't ever really notice the special effects. I felt like what I was seeing was real and believable. Shia LeBeouf did a good job, and how much fun would it be to be in this movie. The only drawback is that Firecracker might see the character Makaela's lower half and realize that she looks a little anorexic.

Has it always been known that Magatron and Optimus Prime were brothers?

Dutch said...

Nah, trust me, I didn't find anything wrong with that girl, other than she isn't my girlfriend.

Wander said...

So I know no one will read this now, except Swany who apperently watches with a voyuers eye all posts, but I finally saw Transformers over the weekend. My thoughts: UNF***ING BELIEVABLE!
If the same film had been made in exactly the same way frame by frame by any other director then Michael Bay, who it's so cool to hate now, I think people would be calling it the perfect action film. As a Michael Bay fan, I was in absolute awe. But don't take my word for it, take Tellulah's who hasn't stopped saying she wants to see it again since we saw it. And believe me, we will!

Swany said...

You're right, on this blog, I see ALL! Just think of me as Big Brother, or the Bush Administration! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Didn't see it until the weekend? I was wondering why it took you so long to comment. I figured, if I raved about this movie, surely Wander would be shouting from the rooftops.

It's interesting to read the reviews from the media outlets. People either loved it or hated it--there aren't many critics in the middle. I guess Michael Bay does that to people.

And, you know, after watching Transformers, I thought I'd give Bad Boys 2 another viewing--nope, still didn't like it that much. Sorry. Amazing the things you can find streaming on the Internet, though. ;-)