Thursday, July 26, 2007

Hard Boiled

John Woo's 1992 action epic "Hard Boiled" was finally released on DVD Tuesday. I pre-ordered from Amazon months ago, and finally got an alert today it had been delivered to my house.
I know there are some folks here who aren't big John Woo fans, but I have to ask if you've seen this one? It is so much better then any of his Hollywood big-budget films. Chow-Yun Fat is amazing as Detective Tequila. And, let's face it, think about the lame-ass action flicks America was making in '92. This film is an action geeks dream!
Oh, and the main reason it was released; a video game written and directed by John Woo and digitally acted by Fat is being released next month as an official sequel to the film. Yes, I already pre-bought it.
Tonight I feast on infinite reloads my friends.
(video possibly NSFW, at least turn the volume down)

2 comments:

Swany said...

How does he manage to keep that toothpick in his mouth? And where's the doves?

I vaguely recall watching Hard Boiled back in college, but I don't remember all that much about it now.

Honestly, I kind of liked parts of Broken Arrow, Face-Off, and MI:2, but I think if John Woo had toned down some of the stylistic aspects he brought to his American flicks and got back to his roots like Hard Boiled, he'd have a much bigger fan base in the West rather than just the cult following of his Hong Kong movies he has now.

Dutch said...

Thanks for the tag - I use headphones, so I'm golden.

One of the reasons, probably the biggest, that I don't like Woo's Hong Kong films is all the innocents that get killed. I really can't stand watching that.