Thursday, July 26, 2007

Another new guilty pleasure...

Awhile back, I posted about a movie called Trust the Man starring David Duchovny. As I hinted at back then, I've always thought Duchovny was a pretty funny guy. He has his own unique way to deliver subtle and intelligent humor, and that movie was perhaps the only time since The X-Files that anyone really utilized his comedic skills to its full potential. That is, until now.

Showtime is set to debut a new series, Californication, headlined by Duchovny who the network describes as playing a "novelist Hank Moody who struggles to raise his 13-year-old daughter, while still carrying a torch of his ex-girlfriend Karen. His obsession with truth-telling and self-destructive behavior -- drinks, drugs and relationships -- are both destroying and enriching his career."

By the magic of the internet, I managed to watch a leaked copy of the pilot episode yesterday, and it was good. The fact that the video is still up today makes me suspect that Showtime leaked it themselves to create a bit of buzz. Hank seems to be tailor-made for David Duchovny and his comedic timing. I thought the show was hilarious. And to deal with the struggles of his life, Hank basically f*cks anything that moves, and with this being on Showtime, you'll see a lot of boobies and ass which may or may not be overdoing it to some. I'm a guy, so what can I say? You can guess what I think. Still, even in one half-hour show, they managed to tie-in a lot of characterization into Duchovny's role, and certainly leaves you wanting to know more about this guy in future episodes.

Anywho, below is the Showtime trailer, not the full pilot episode. If you've got Showtime, I'd recommend checking out the show when it premieres in August.


No comments: