Monday, July 23, 2007

Have I mentioned before how much I love Wolverine?

FYI...

Fox has (finally) signed a director for their upcoming Wolverine spin-off, and the lucky helmer is ... Gavin Hood, whom you might know from the South African film Tsotsi.
Hey, the movie won Best Foreign Film at the '06 Oscars, so the guy clearly has some skills. But what else was it that made the Fox brass take notice? Apparently it's Mr. Hood's Rendition, a New Line political drama that stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Reese Witherspoon, Peter Sarsgaard, and Meryl Streep. (That movie opens on October 19th.)
For the Wolverine fans who are still skeptical, you can take solace in the fact that not only does leading man Hugh Jackman approve of the decision -- you can bet he was involved in the entire process. Here's what he told Variety: "I have long been a fan of Gavin's work and know he will make a masterful film with the character intensity and action beats the fans expect."
Production on Wolverine (which was adapted from the comics by David Benioff) begins in November.
Source: Variety

1 comment:

Swany said...

That's good news, I think--I haven't seen Tsotsi. And other than being way too tall, Hugh Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine in the X-Men movies has been pretty spot on. My only fear is that Marvel will somehow screw this up. I figure, despite some good flicks like the Spiderman films and The Hulk, they're still in the losing column with stinkers like Daredevil, Elektra, and those last two Fantastic Four pictures. Luckily, I found Rise of the Silver Surfer somewhere on the internet, and didn't waste my money.

Maybe I'm still just a bit miffed that they screwed up Cyclops so much and killed him off, no less. Bastards.