Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I'm geeking out about a vacuum cleaner.

So I was getting some kitchen chairs at Big Lots a few weeks back, (I can do that because I'm a bachelor) and I see refurbished Dyson vacuum cleaners for $300. A great price to be sure, but I was wary of the refurb part. I mentioned this to a co-worker - who has one and raves about it - and she said, "it's fixed at the same place that makes them." Which got me thinking; it has probably gone through quality control twice. They knew to fix the first defect, and everything else got checked twice. At least, that's how I justified it to myself.

Anywho, I went out and bought one tonight after vacuuming with my sissified $50 Eureka bachelor-vac I got from Target after leaving my Oreck with my ex-harpy two years ago. So, now you all know (as well as me) Swany's secret geek out is baby strollers. Mine is vacuums.

But not just any vacuum, we're talking suck the dirt from underneath the carpet - the dust that was on the floor when the builders first put the carpet down!

Check out the photo below. My weenie vac on the left, after vacuuming the living room, and then the Dyson, the .50 caliber of vacuums, after I vacuumed up the dirt weenie vac left behind. Besides yanking dog hair out of short pile carpet, it also sucked up dirt about as fine as talcum powder. Again, after I vacuumed with the weenie vac.



I don't think women should use this thing. This is a man's vacuum.

6 comments:

Wander said...

I like that you got the official 'Miami Vice' model. Nice colors.
Although I suppose a SuperVac should look like it's in costume.

Dutch said...

Yeah, that's one of the sacrifices of buying it at the discount store - you don't really get the choice colors.

In fact I didn't even have a choice in the colors.

Swany said...

Actually, I was looking for Blue's Clues somewhere on that thing, but I'm guessing she got sucked into the canister.

Ah, Dyson vacuums--the ones that never lose suction. I think my parentals got one awhile back. Maybe that's where the dog went.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised to see you say the first vacuum was feeble. Maybe it is because I can't see it in person, but it looked like it had wuite a bit in it. The true test would be to use the feeble vacuum, empty it and then vacuum with it again. As I understand it (I can geek out about home appliances as well - ask me about the pros and cons of stainless steel versus non-stick cookware and I could go on forever. While I am on it, I will tell you that one of the worst things to do when buying cookware is to buy the big all inclusive set. If you have the time, then buy one piece per month. Places like Bed Bath and Beyond always highlight a different piece and sell it for a special price each month.)

That parenthetical aside was a little too much so I will start again. As I understand it, the bagless vacuums lose suction as they fill up. That is one of the cons to a bagless vs. a bagged vacuum. Thoughts?

Swany said...

Except for the Dyson--it NEVER loses suction. Don't you watch the commercials? Oh wait. You have a DVR. You probably haven't watched a commercial since.

As far as the pros and cons of nonstick versus stainless steel, I'd like to know, and would appreciate a whole seperate post on the topic. Domestic appliances? Yeah, I'm all about that, especially if they have something to do with food. If I didn't have so much debt in student loans and a desire to own all things flashy and technologically advanced, I'd gladly step aside and be a Mr. Mom.

Dutch said...

I guess what I was getting at is the feeble vac still had plenty of room in the dust chamber (it wasn't completely full), yet left behind all the dirt and dog hair picked up by the Dyson.