Thursday, June 21, 2007

Didn't anyone watch Gung-Ho?

So the wife's Volkswagen is in the shop, and she took my car to drive to work, leaving me to pick up a rental car. This is now the fifth rental I've had the "pleasure" of driving over the past month which has given me ample opportunity to appreciate the failures of the modern day American car.

First up, exhibit A: The Chevrolet Malibu. With a name like Malibu, I think of sandy beaches, cool ocean breezes, California girls like the Beach Boys always sang about, or a pleasant drive up the PCH. Inspiration like that should invoke designs of smooth lines and refined engineering, but instead I get this shocker of an automobile that reminds me of a granny going to a podiatrist to have her bunions looked at.



Next, I present to you exhibit B: The Dodge Caliber. The Caliber is marketed to sell in the new cross-over segment which I'm still trying to understand. SUV? Compact car? Hell, it's both all wrapped up into one. Built by the Chrysler Corporation when they were still owned by the Daimler Group, you'd think the Caliber would steal some design cues from the likes of their more respected partners at Mercedes-Benz. Alas, I guess American stubbornness to reject all things European stopped that idea in its tracks, leaving us with the car I'm driving today that looks like a full-sized SUV that got stuck in a trash compactor and folded up like an accordian. If a Dodge Durango (a pretty ugly vehicle in its own right) is a .44 Magnum revolver, the Dodge Caliber is a pellet gun. Not surprising that Daimler was more than eager to sell Chrysler off as quickly as they could just a month or two ago.



Perhaps the saving grace of the American auto industry is exhibit C: The Pontiac G6. Styling-wise, this car doesn't look half bad. It's curvy, sleek, sporty, and even has a model name that sounds pretty fast. And running through some windy roads through the mountains on Highway 17 from San Jose to Santa Cruz with this car earlier in the month was actually a lot of fun. It's quick, responsive, and handled some aggressive driving well. The downside? The interior feels like it's made of cheap plastic that's more suited for the old Star Wars toys in my parents' attic than a car. I suppose I can feel comforted by the fact that the interior components would completely vaporize in a collision, as I almost felt it would break every time I simply pushed the A/C button in the console.



Yup, if this is the level of quality we should get accustomed to from domestic automakers, I'll be giving my business to the Japanese for many years to come. Even if I was in the market for a pickup truck, I'd be more inclined to buy a Toyota Tundra right now. Seems kind of silly to me, though. How hard could it actually be to build something at the level of all the imports coming into this country. Heck, I'm almost tempted to wonder if Hyundai is building better cars.

4 comments:

Dutch said...

I think stubbornness is what it's all about. They seem to have their heads in the sand, and just want us to change our opinions on what is important to us in a product, rather than change the product.

That's why I bought a Subaru last time. They market how innovative and well built their cars are. American car makers try to sell you some image that the car is supposed to provide for you. It's got a Hemi! Like you're going to be a professional drag racer or something.

And I bet Hyundai does make better cars. They were crap in the beginning, but they have 10 year warranties now. Car makers don't warranty stuff that they will have to fix. The Koreans figured out within a few years that they need to build quality, not an image. Why can't U.S. automakers do that?

Wander said...

We have a Honda and a Toyota in our family, so Tellulah and I are far from domestic experts. I can tell you that when we rent a car (which is actually pretty often, we hardly ever use our own cars for vacations or business trips) if we have to go domestic, we go Chrysler. Don't know if you remember the crossover Chrysler SUV 'Pacifica' we had last year for Scratch's wedding, but they are really great rentals. Not sure about owning one ever, but as far as quality goes, they don't feel cheap, underpowered or throwaway. We have one rented for our excursion in Phoenix house hunting this weekend, actually.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww, the Tundra is my dream vehicle right now. It would be a nice upgrade from my almost 10 year old Tacoma. My only reservation (outside of actually being able to afford one) is the environmental impact. The mileage on those things is only as good as what my Tacoma gets today.

Swany said...

Considering how much bigger the Tundra is than the Tacoma, that mileage doesn't sound half bad. And just think how much of a bad-ass you could be--it's the same truck that Jack Bauer chased terrorists down in on last season's 24.