Thursday, April 19, 2007

Vince Young Is Doomed

Although well documented among gamers, it is less well known among most simple sports fans of the 'Madden Curse'. That is almost every player featured on that years Madden NFL game has recieved a season or even career ending injury right after the games release. It is true, it is strange, and although I can't think of any examples to give you, it is well documented throughout the net, and some even gamble on who will be on the cover that year, what injury the player will recieve, and how long they will be out. I personally know people that will eschew picking that certain sports superstar in fantasy drafts. So, as I believe there have been vague rumblings on this blog about a contributor or two being Vince Young fans, I thought I would let you know of Vince's terrible fate.
Here's the word straight from the fat man himself:

"You've heard the rumors and read the betting odds (IGN called LT even and Vince Young 3-2 favorites), but nothing was made official until John Madden's radio show on KCBS when the man behind the biggest sports franchise in gaming officially named Titans QB Vince Young as the Madden NFL 08 cover athlete."Vince Young is going to be on the cover…why, is that not out yet…did I just let something out of the bag?" Madden said on his show this morning as the hosts asked him about the rumors.
Madden was also asked about the cover curse saying that he's never heard from a player on the cover complaining about the curse, adding: "We had one version where I was on the cover, so I was thinking if you admit there is something to it, then it's going to get you if you're on the cover, so I had to pooh-pooh it."

John, looking at you, I can't help but think there are few things on this earth you haven't pooh-poohed at least once.

6 comments:

Swany said...

Look up "Madden Curse" on Wikipedia--it's real!

Sigh. Too bad.

Anonymous said...

I read about this yesterday on ESPN's Page 2 (interview by Mary Buckheit). In VY's own words:

"Nah. I'm a big fate guy, I don't worry about no jinx. If I get hurt, it was bound to happen. Or if I go through the season, and have a great season, I think that's God's will. So I don't believe in none of that stuff. I just go out there and play the game that I love the most -- football."

Plus I might add that the other cover curse that one culd argue has more clout is the cover of Sports Illustrated. When VY was prominantly positioned on the cover before the Big 12 Title game in 2005, he went on to win that game and the championship.

So Swany, don't be so easily influenced and let your mind Wander.

Wander said...

Wow. Between VY's own comments, and Willie's fervor, I'm making an early prediction.
Sniper shot from the stands 3rd game of the season.
Any takers?

Anonymous said...

I will give you 10,000 to 1 odds on that one. And you know what they say about 10,000 to 1 odds?

"If someone gives you 10,000 to 1 on anything, you take it. If John Mellencamp ever wins an Oscar, I am going to be a very rich dude."

Wander said...

HA, nice Dwight quote.

You're on.
I gotta buy a rifle...

W.M. Scratch said...

Quote actually from Kevin Malone - the fat accountant who has a World Series of Poker bracelet and playes in a Police cover band.