Tuesday, April 3, 2007

R2D2 Sighting #5

On the corner of Market and College in Greensboro, NC R2D2 #5 was sighted.



This little fellow proved to be a tough one to find. After having no luck with seeing him around town, I broke down and went to the main post office to ask where I might find him. As is often the case, I came in contact with a non-Star Wars fan who was one of our very own postal workers. I was amazed that they didn't even know what I was talking about. My guess is that the USPS doesn't do much with making their employees aware of their own marketing efforts. (Hey USPS employees, did you know that at one time you were the sponsor to one of the 21st century's dominate athletes?) Anyway, I explained the whole campaign to him and told him that there are only 400 of these in the system. With much excitement I proceeded to tell him that we were blessed with at least one in Greensboro. He responded with very muted excitement and said he would see if anyone else knew what I was talking about. After about 5 minutes he returns from the back to let me know that they have one alright. It was sitting in the back currently to which he had just spent some time looking at it. It had already been taken off the streets for reasons I was not told. Could I see it? Would it make it out again? Where? When? I could not see it because I was not of the proper postal status to be able to get into the back. All the other questions were met with the same muted excitement and responded to with an, "I don't know." It seems though that the force was with me, and I found it a few days later.

No comments: