Friday, April 6, 2007

Am I getting to old for this?

It's been a little over 24 hours since I saw Snow Patrol at The Pageant here in St. Louis, and I'm a little worried because my left ear is still ringing. It was a great concert, but I left feeling a bit like an old fart.

My wife is a huge Snow Patrol fan, having discovered them a few years back when they debuted in the U.S. with their album Final Straw. Of course, her enthusiasm shot up into the stratosphere when their music was prominently featured on her favorite television show of the moment, Grey's Anatomy. I think they're a pretty awesome band myself, so we staked out some prime space close to the stage on the floor, and passed on the amenities of seats and booze in the "21 and over" section towards the back. Nope, instead we huddled with the young folk--14 and 15 year old girls puffing on cigarettes trying to look cool, adolescent boys with that bad "I'm going through puberty" B.O., college kids talking to who knows whom on their cellphones.

The opening acts, Silverspun Pickups and OK Go, were great. Really got the crowd going. But in the midst of it all, I kept catching myself being like some grumpy old man. The music was too loud. These kids were annoying me and invading my personal space (which apparently my wife was thinking, too, when she shoved back some girl trying to squeeze her way into space behind us that wasn't there). My back was hurting from standing there so long. Why does it take so long to set up between bands? I'd look up in the balcony seats and see crowds of middle aged adults, thinking to myself, "Boy, I should be up there. It would be nice to sit down, order a beer from the cocktail waitress, and watch the show where the speakers weren't dead-on aimed at me."

Oddly, the space around me thinned out a bit after OK Go, and I ended up really enjoying my vantage point when Snow Patrol came on. But now my ear is still ringing, my back is sore, and I'm still annoyed that kids are smoking (in public, no less). Yup. I'm turning into middle-aged man, and I'm still in my early 30's.

Interesting tidbit I learned from Wikipedia: Apparently, Snow Patrol came up with their band name while eluding the police in Telluride, CO after being caught trying to cut down a Christmas tree and hiding out in a cave for a few hours. Sounds like something we would have done in our younger days. Scratch that--something YOU guys would have done. I would have been at home while you guys did this, then scratching my head the following day trying to figure out how you guys always seem to get in trouble when I'm not around. ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we are getting old, and with that comes some wisdom about life. Wisdom that I would ont trade for the pubescent BO or the desire to look cool. I think hitting our thirties is a good thing and so is becoming middle aged.

As far as your ears still ringing, I was actually thinking about the this before I saw this post this morning. I wasworking out and had my ipod on shuffle. Up came a Foo Fighters song which made me think about the concert I saw with them. Pete Yorn opened which was good, but the Foo was amazing. It was the loudest concert I have ever been to, but oddly enough my ears weren't ringing at all afterwards. After discussing this with some others who were there we asked HC? Physics of course is the answer. We figured that even though the volume was so loud the sound was probably the cleanest sound we had ever heard. I guess I can attribute that to David Grohl's obsession with perfection (at least this is what I hear - badabump).

Oh, and one more thought. Having kids cuts way down on your ability to do what you did. So count your blessings that you even have the opportuniy to have your ears ring. The closest I have gotten to a concert lately was a free downtown concert here in the 'boro by our very own Daughtry. The city really screwed it up by putting the stage in a whole that only 1/10 of the corwd could see and the trains in the background didn't help either.

Swany said...

WHOA! Hold on just a minute! You got an iPod?! Wander and I are so proud. Sniff, sniff.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I broke down back in October. It was a gift to my wife for her birthday. Snicker snicker!