Wednesday, April 18, 2007

As Wander's mom once told me, "If they make fun of you again, and ask you if you know karate, just give them a good karate kick to the nuts!"

My wife came home today and asked me a somewhat perplexing question about the tragedy at Virginia Tech yesterday--when is the backlash going to start? Out of all the new information that was disclosed today about who the shooter was--being a loner, seriously depressed and deranged, on the brink of a psychotic break perhaps--what some have focused on was his race.

For an Asian here in the United States, I guess it's only natural to think this way. I hate to admit it, but the thought had crossed my mind, as well. Living in the minority in this country, we can't help but think this way. Life is a constant struggle to measure up to the majority. When we don't, it plays as an example of how we're inferior and perhaps lower-class citizens. And when a minority commits the ultimate act of murder, well, break out the torches and prepare the nooses 'cause it's time for a lynching. When the Japanese invaded at Pearl Harbor, Americans (who happened to be of Japanese descent) were rounded up and placed in internment camps. The acts of a radical group of Middle Eastern terrorists on 9/11 brought a wave of racism that many in this country still struggle with.

Timothy McVeigh kills 168 people in Oklahoma, and the country pointed to his extremist beliefs. At Columbine, it was the proliferation of media violence and suggestive music that was to blame. Charles Whitman and his killing spree from atop the University of Texas tower? Child abuse. Granted, these were acts committed by isolated people not affiliated at all with any larger entity that would pose any continuing threat, but I use them to illustrate the point that we didn't question their racial backgrounds in the aftermath. No one is going to go out and say that Caucasians are dangerous. And I'd hope the American people won't make an issue about Cho Seung-hui's Asian or Korean ethnicity either.

The guy was clearly not psychologically sound based on what little the community knew about him, and perhaps his racial background played a role in pushing him further into an isolated world within himself instead of fully interacting with those around him. I've often felt that sense of isolation at times just from being a minority in this country, and I find myself a bit intrigued by how he fell into this hole of despair. I share some similarities to him, being the first generation of an immigrant family to grow up here in the States and being a bit of a quiet loner (although not quite to his extent). I even noticed that I have the same birthday as him. Yes, it was tough being a kid with immigrant parents who spoke with accents and did things differently than what we saw other "American" families do. It's hard enough to fit in with the peer pressures of childhood and adolescence, and harder still with parents that were trying to fit in themselves. What makes me different? Perhaps I wasn't genetically fated to have the extreme psychiatric issues he may have had. I don't know. What I do know, though, is that I grew up with a close group of friends that never made race an issue. I was raised in perhaps one of the more racist areas of the country, and at times I think it was just by the pure grace of God that I met friends like the Kool-Aid Gang of this blog.

So when my wife asks me if there's going to be a backlash, I really hope that there isn't. There's certainly other minorities in this country dealing with the same issues as this guy who perhaps are sitting on that tipping point between a decent life and a tragic one. If we can learn anything from history or even this horrific event, it's that racism only fuels more disaster.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! In the wake of all the recent racist comments from caucasions it is easy to show that racism is still a problem in our country (and the world for that matter). It is my hope to change this. It seems a daunting and impossible task, but it has to start somewhere. I believe it started with my parents (actually our parents). That is one reason Swany was our friend. The scary part though is that I still have a long way to go. Everyone has pieces of racism within them whether they know it or not. What might be good for all of us is to look inward to find where we are racist and work on that. Firecracker, back when he was Scootypuff, said that the best thing Mel Gibson could have done was to confess his racism and then work on it. That's good advice for all of us.

Swany, it is my sincere hope that you not receive any backlash from this.

Dutch said...

I never knew you felt that kind of isolation. Or rather, I thought that you didn't and figured that was kind of odd, actually.

No one is going to go out and say that Caucasians are dangerous. Well, except some non-Caucasians.

As for backlash, I doubt if this incident will convert any to racism. If someone blames his actions on his heritage, they weren't just now swayed to thinking that way. People are trying to understand why this happened, and for many "because $#!t happens" isn't a good enough reason. It's always easy to blame that which you don't understand, so xenophobics might blame this on Cho's ethnicity. However, they were morons to begin with, and would find other things to dislike about Asians, blacks, Jews, non-protestants, non-catholics, or whatever, even if this hadn't happened.

So, I would say don't waste time worrying about, listening to, or heaven forbid arguing with this kind of stupidity. Arguing with people like these is like running a race in the Special Olympics: even if you win, you're still retarded.

One thing Wander and I were talking about last night (as we were playing a computer role-playing game) was that were glad he just played basketball. Had he been a console or computer gamer, or a pen and paper or model gamer, now there would have been a backlash.

OHH! These games are teaching our children to kill! If only he'd stuck with checkers!

Nobody will blame this on basketball. Why? Because people understand basketball. There's nothing for their xenophobia to latch on to.

Dutch said...

Yeah, I have my own issues with racism. I've even talked to Chester about it. I've found that the worst thing you can do with it (or any problem) is deny it's existence. I at least know that when I have these feelings, they aren't coming from a place of reason or compassion, which means they come from past hurts or fears. Obviously to live out of reason and compassion is nobler than to be ruled by hurt or fear, so I know these feelings are not what's best and right.

I also know that I'm not perfect. But it's like what Elanor Roosevelt said (I think), that since we are all imperfect, we shouldn't strive for perfection. We can however still strive for excellence.

Wander said...

Well said Swany.
And my Mom gave you plenty of brilliant advice as I remember. Like that time we were on our way to the all band concert in the 7th grade, and you mentioned you'd be playing violin. She told you not to break your g string. I think we were both laughing about that one for the next month.