Thursday, August 31, 2006

Off-Road in the Swany Space Ship



A while back Wild Willie posted a message about mudding in Wackinoffee's Bronco (MUD!). Well, having seen the Swany recently during his visit to our nations capitol, I began thinking about the vehicle that Swany's family had when I first met him. No, not the Skylark, which was perpetually parked in front, but the Toyota Van. In trying to remember what the van looked like and why I thought it was so cool I searched for a picture. What I found was a select group of people who take their Toyota Van - Off Road!

At the time I thought the Toyota Van was spaceage and sleek. I overlooked the fact that the wind in the place where we lived blew consistently, and that a fart from any one of us could have probably knocked it over. I distinctly remember riding down the interstate going somewhere and feeling the van being pulled all over the place. Of course, the 'well designed' high center of gravity added to the stability of this car. I have never been in a vehicle when it flipped, but I guess the Swany has. I am surprised it took as long as it did.

3 comments:

Swany said...

Actually, it was a pretty gloomy day and snowing. My dad hit a patch of black ice on the highways of Oklahoma which is why the van rolled. And the song was "A Day In The Life" off of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band about where the orchestra crescendos into the finale. But I'm just impressed you even remember it was the Beatles.

Oh, if only that van hadn't been totaled. To think I could have inherited that thing when I started driving instead of the Skylark. The possibilities...

Dutch said...

Yeah, you really need to be hearing the end of "A Day in The Life" after you've just received a head injury.

The possibilities...

What possibilities? Man, if our dumb asses were to have been in that car in high school, we would have flipped it inside of five minutes. I mean, do you remember us launching my station wagon?

Swany said...

Yeah, having so much passenger room probably would have left me driving everyone around town. Hey wait a minute--I ended up driving the majority of the time anyway! Damn, I should have just gotten a moped.

But the potential of having the Toyota minivan with a sliding door--think of the waterballoons that could have been launched from that vantage point. Then again, that leaves the passengers wide open to assault as well.

Oh, Wild Willie. I fondly think back to my old Skylark, as well. My only hope is that I will be able to hold onto an old piece of crap car like that to pass on to my own children.