Monday, August 21, 2006

My boredom has outshone the sun.

Holy crap am I bored. I am so unsuited to the cube life. And while my recent revelation as ADD has relieved me of the shame of my goofing off (both of which were considerable), it has also exacterbated my boredom, as the paranoia of getting shit-canned was mildly entertaining. As it is now, I've learned how to exist in the office job by taking contract jobs more often than not, and balancing my sloth with better-than-average work to appease those with their finger on the button. I'm convinced that the reason I don't get fired from nearly every job I've had is because when I do work, it's better than expected or what the client is used to. I'm good at meting out work just in time to save my bacon, I think.

Of course, I have the non-standardized, non-licensed, career of technical writing to thank for that. Since there is no real criteria for becoming a technical writer - other than to say that you are one - there are a lot a crappy ones out there. This thankfully keeps that bar of client expectations so low that when I come along, I need only a short trot to hurdle it. The average employer can't tell a good technical writer from a crappy one until he's already paid for the service, so even though he sees me on the Koolaid Gang blog or You Tube 3 out of the 5 times he passes my desk, he also sees how much improved his documentation is, and figures he'll put up with my crap as the thought of trying to find another competent writer makes him break out in hives.

If I were to die tomorrow, I'd be pretty disappointed to leave this as my legacy. The poster boy for mediocrity, I.

No comments: