Monday, August 21, 2006

Just let 'em eat their bamboo in peace

I'm in Washington D.C. this week for a six-day review course, and Scratch was nice enough to let me crash at his place. Since he's literally steps from the Smithsonian National Zoological Park, I figured I'd walk through the zoo on my way back this evening to get a glimpse of the pandas. Little did I know that they close off the panda exhibit at 4:00 PM--I got there at 7:00 PM. As I wandered around, though, I noticed panda ads everywhere on signs, banners, trashcans--if I had to pee, I'd venture a guess they'd be on the urinals. It seems pandas are big business for zoos these days. San Diego, Atlanta, and Memphis prominently advertise their own giant panda exhibits in their respective cities. Kind of got me wondering. The U.S. relies on China for just about everything we use these days from cheap televisions, plastic cups, t-shirts, etc. Heck, I'm writing this on a computer that's probably 95% made up of Chinese goods. And now even our zoos rely on a Chinese import to increase revenues. Globalization...

The giant panda has become a bit of a political football in Taiwan, as well. A so called goodwill gift from China to the island of Formosa seems to be viewed by some as a subtle power grab instead. Who knew such a cuddly looking bear could symbolize such controversy?

1 comment:

Dutch said...

Yeah, I remember hearing about the China-Taiwan panda thing a few months back. I think it was something like, "we'd like to give you these pandas, seeing as you are just part of China anyways." So if Taiwan accepts the pandas, it sort of copitulates with China's claim.

Not that this surprises me, the Chinese are just naturally devious. They're the type that would participate in hijinks with you but then slip away early to go call the cops.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!