Monday, January 7, 2008

It makes The Omega Man look like some crappy old Chuck Heston movie.


I saw I Am Legend Friday night, and I was surprised at how good it was. Honestly, I was expecting something more along the lines of I, Robot, which was a moderately entertaining, two-hour long advertisement. I think this picture from The Best Page in The Universe sums up the gist of that movie.



Anywho, back to the good movie. I've seen The Omega Man (1971), which is a good lying-on-the-couch-watching-old-sci-fi-after-I-mowed-the-lawn movie. I didn't see The Last Man on Earth (1964), which was the first of the three movies made from the 1954 Richard Matheson novel, I Am Legend. I don't plan on seeing it, either. It stars Vincent Price, who although is famous for his horror work, I don't think was a particularly good actor. That and Matheson wrote the script for the movie, but then insisting he be credited as Logan Swanson because they rewrote the script in his absence and butchered it. He didn't want that stinker attributed to him, hence the nom de plume.

Apparently this latest incarnation with Smith is closer to the original story than the previous films, and even if it isn't, it's certainly much better. It's somewhat plot, but much more performance driven, and it takes an actor of Smith's caliber to make this movie as good as it is. His acting (which is probably 90% or more of the screen time) is convincing yet subtle, and probably lost on many laypeople (including myself, somewhat.) Like DeNiro, his facial expressions and body language are what really sell it, although his spoken parts are fantastic as well. He plays the military mind-set (won't leave his post), the loneliness, the fear, the despair, and the rage (I won't say why) all equally well.

I thought the telling of the story was well-paced, although that could have been because I knew the story in a nut-shell already. The friend I saw it with actually said half-way through, "Dood, this is boring." As I said though, the strength of the movie was the performance. I think if you don't get sucked in by that, and are expecting a faster pace, you might not dig it. Luckily, however, that wasn't me.

Another facet I really enjoyed about this movie was the message. It doesn't really show up until the end, but it's a good one. It reminds us why it's important to keep fighting the good fight, even if you look sure to lose. It really beats the pants of the allegory in The Omega, which was just a hammy Passion Play, with Heston playing the allegorical Christ. I tells ya, first Moses, then Jesus. Chucky baby had to be eating that up.

*** A little digression here. I rip on Charleton Heston quite a bit, yet I watch The Omega Man, Soylent Green, and the first two Planet of The Apes movies whenever they're on TV. I have even rented most of them from Netflicks. It's funny that he's done so much classic sci-fi - I wonder if he laments not getting to be in Logan's Run. (DAMN MICHAEL YORK! DAMN HIM ALL TO HELL!) I swear that cat smiles upside down. It's creepy. Anyway, I like all these movies, but I think I can say with confidence that Charleton Heston being in them had nothing to do with my enjoyment. You could have cast many other actors and gotten movies just as good if not better. The same can't be said for I Am Legend. ***

The only criticisms I have are the CGI bad guys, and the main character's reaction to seeing real people again. As for the later, I wasn't 100% sold on his reaction, but honestly there are a couple of good reasons why he might act the way he did (but I won't go into them for spoiler sake). I personally can't fathom being completely alone in the world, save for vampiric monster people trying to kill me, and then running into other real people, so maybe that reaction was completely appropriate.

As for the CGI critters, their movement was actually superb, but up close they didn't look opaque and three dimensional enough, and their physiology was too skewed to look real (possibly to make them look scarier, but if that's the case I think it backfired). Ten years ago they would have been the bomb-diggity, but in comparison to Spider-Man and other fantastic CGI work nowadays, it was lacking.

The last negative on this movie was that Smith has a female German Shepard as his only companion, and Samantha looked awfully like my Gretel. It was a strange experience mourning my pooch again while watching the movie, but actually may be a small part of why I got so deep into it.

Hopefully with this movie and Ali, Smith will leave stuff like Bad Boys and Independence Day for his early career. In keeping with the Kool-Aid Gang's metrics, I rate this movie Very Cheesy, bearing in mind that I would reserve Dangerously Cheesy for life-changing movies, such as Forrest Gump, American Beauty, and The Green Mile.

7 comments:

Swany said...

I've been meaning to watch this, but haven't gotten around to it. The reviews, including yours, have been pretty positive.

I'm surprised that you would find a movie "that [you] knew in a nut shell" well-paced. I often find movies where I know the story already to be a bit boring, not the other way around. That's I why I tend to rate adaptations from books that I've already read a bit lower than I otherwise would.

I've also read that they threw in an Easter egg somewhere in the background while Will Smith is walking down some deserted street in New York City that shows a billboard advertising "Batman vs. Superman" coming out 5.15.10.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/12/18/batman-vs-superman/

Anonymous said...

A few thoughts ...

First, I saw the easter egg while watching the movie without the knowledge that there was even one to be seen.

Second, I would have rate this movie somewhere between Cheesy and Very Cheesy. To use one of your phrases FC, you were spot on in your assessment of the CGI aspect. The zombies or whatever you want to call them were not realistic enough for me to actually strike fear within me. It felt like I was playing an early first person shooter like Doom or Half-Life when I was confronted with the humans gone bad. Also, the guy I saw it with summed it up in a way I thought was pretty close. It was sort of like a M. Night Shyamalan movie without the weird twist at the end.

Third, I am curious to know what you thought the message was at the end that so profoundly stuck with you to rate this so high? I am not trying to ruffle your feathers with the question. I am really just curious to know if I missed it because I have been known to do such things.

Fourth and final thought, its nice to see a post from you FC.

Wander said...

I first read the novella by Richard Matheson the summer of 1986 after finding it in a forgotten corner of the Amarillo library. I used it for a book report in 1990. I watched the thousands of I Am Legend fan films that have been posted on the web over the last 10 plus years. Hell, I met the guy who is now married to my ex-wife when he was working on a I Am Legend fan-film of his own for a CU Boulder film class (I see someone with a camcorder I get involved, what can I say?) I am one of the legion of I Am Legend fans. It is a near perfect horror read written at a time when no one was writing horror. It was years ahead of its time and the fan following it had proved that. Unfortunately, the film version is without a doubt the worst book adaption I have ever seen in a film. The adaptors missed the ENTIRE point of the book. They left out any part of the book that made it what it was, and changed the ending so much that the incredible title itself has absolutely no meaning. Feel very sorry for my wife because she has had to listen to me bitch about the horribleness of the film since we saw it.
If I'd never read the book, I'm sure I would have liked the film, the horrible CGI aside. But I, and the many I Am Legend fans I know have blacklisted this film for all time. This film killed a lot of the faith I still had in Hollywood.

Swany said...

Ridley Scott was initially tagged to helm this picture--you gotta wonder what it would have been like if he stayed on the project. Of course, Arnold Schwarzenagger was set to play Will Smith's role, too. I wonder if they would have cancelled themselves out to make a mediocre flick.

"Look ouoot! Zaambies!" [That's the best I can do to put the classic "Ah-nuld" Austrian accent in print. Use your imagination.]

That being said, I still haven't seen the movie, but I'll leave it up to you guys to wonder what might have been.

Dutch said...

Wander - that just makes me glad that I read mostly non-fiction. It doesn't ruin the movie for me. :)

Wide, Wide, World of Wild Willie - Faith in the divine and that the world is essentially a good place, to answer your question. Also, an example of the concept of ethfar (Everything Happens For A Reason), kind of like what Shymalan tried in Signs only this movie didn't club the audience over the head with it. (And it didn't have Grand Canyon-sized plot holes like Signs.)

Swany said...

So I had a chance to catch this flick today. I was liking it until they tried to make it into an action movie at the end. And the ending itself seemed too nice and tidy to satisfy me. I was much more intrigued by the theme of loneliness and the insanity it must create. I agree with Firecracker George in saying that Will Smith's performance was good.

I also agree that the CGI wasn't great. I almost wonder why they didn't just use real humans with zombie makeup instead. It made the climactic battle kind of disappointing--I paid money to see a film, not a video game. This, with the ending that was a bit disappointing to me, dropped my rating to "Cheesy" on the Cheetos scale.

I was intrigued by what Wander said, so I looked up the plot synopsis of the novel version of I Am Legend on Wikipedia. Just based on what I read, I must agree that a more literal adaptation of RIchard Matheson's book would have been much, much better. I'm almost not even sure why they call this movie an adaptation. Other than the "last man on Earth" theme and perhaps zombies that couldn't stand UV light, it doesn't seem like much of the original book's content was used. Of course, the ending of the book probably was too dark for the movie studios to greenlight as a potential blockbuster movie starring Will Smith. In any case, I need to go read the book.

And final thought (or question, actually): So the part of the film where Will Smith gets caught--was that to imply that the zombies were smarter than he realized, or did he just forget about a trap he set himself?

Dutch said...

That's funny, I heard that question from someone else. I think the zompires were more intelligent than he gave them credit for. I think their sense of being human was gone, but their sense of community and belonging was intact. The new community were the zompires, not humanity. He thought that they moved straight down the evolutionary ladder in terms of cognitive functions, but I think it was a more lateral move.

The short answer is, I'm convinced that they set the trap. Remember, they moved his pal as bait.