Sunday, January 27, 2008

Giving up oil is one thing, but give up my beef? Oh, man...

The word for the day is "vegetable."


At times, I kind of understand all those PETA fanatics.  I'm not sure I could truly look into the eyes of an animal and then kill it myself for my dinner. We tend to feel such remorse with the death of dogs, cats, and horses, yet somehow the plight of cattle, pigs, and chickens misses our sympathy.

It turns out, though, that not only is the meat industry questionably bad for your conscious, it's bad for the environment, too:
To put the energy-using demand of meat production into easy-to-understand terms, Gidon Eshel, a geophysicist at the Bard Center, and Pamela A. Martin, an assistant professor of geophysics at the University of Chicago, calculated that if Americans were to reduce meat consumption by just 20 percent it would be as if we all switched from a standard sedan — a Camry, say — to the ultra-efficient Prius. Similarly, a study last year by the National Institute of Livestock and Grassland Science in Japan estimated that 2.2 pounds of beef is responsible for the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide emitted by the average European car every 155 miles, and burns enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for nearly 20 days.
The article in The New York Times goes on to explain the other negative effects of increased demand for meat:
Though some 800 million people on the planet now suffer from hunger or malnutrition, the majority of corn and soy grown in the world feeds cattle, pigs and chickens. This despite the inherent inefficiencies: about two to five times more grain is required to produce the same amount of calories through livestock as through direct grain consumption, according to Rosamond Naylor, an associate professor of economics at Stanford University. It is as much as 10 times more in the case of grain-fed beef in the United States.

The environmental impact of growing so much grain for animal feed is profound. Agriculture in the United States — much of which now serves the demand for meat — contributes to nearly three-quarters of all water-quality problems in the nation’s rivers and streams, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Because the stomachs of cattle are meant to digest grass, not grain, cattle raised industrially thrive only in the sense that they gain weight quickly. This diet made it possible to remove cattle from their natural environment and encourage the efficiency of mass confinement and slaughter. But it causes enough health problems that administration of antibiotics is routine, so much so that it can result in antibiotic-resistant bacteria that threaten the usefulness of medicines that treat people.

Those grain-fed animals, in turn, are contributing to health problems among the world’s wealthier citizens — heart disease, some types of cancer, diabetes. The argument that meat provides useful protein makes sense, if the quantities are small. But the “you gotta eat meat” claim collapses at American levels. Even if the amount of meat we eat weren’t harmful, it’s way more than enough.
I'm not sure I'm willing to give up my meat consumption just yet, but this might make me think twice about whether I should order that ribeye the next time I'm out eating.  Maybe I'll just go with the salad once in awhile.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should get the salad. Pass on the ribeye, but get some fish instead. You'll thank me for it. Of course, in Texas I don't ever remember fish on the menu, but here in North Kakalaky there are typically more fish items on a menu than there are beef items.

Have you ever noticed that raw broccoli leaves a burnt cigar after taste in your mouth? WW Vegetable trivia #1

Swany said...

All this veg trivia. I think WW is secretly an operative of PETA. My only hope is that he doesn't bare it all except for a strategically placed leaf of Romaine lettuce.

Anonymous said...

BTW that picture brings a whole new meaning to tossing your salad.

Dutch said...

Well, in that sense I wouldn't mind tossing a salad - toss it right to the foot of the bed. However, as for the jail house meaning, I'm still going to pass.

Notice that the article didn't say, "become a vegetarian." It stipulated that eating less was helpful - not that complete abstinence was a necessity.

I don't eat as much meat as I used to, but that has more to do with wanting to eat more grains and veggies for health and economic reasons. That, and if I want meat, my choices are often take time to prepare it, or take time to go to a restaurant, neither of which I want to do when I'm focused on something. So, pouring cereal, or making a PBJ is usually what I wind up doing.

Hmm. I just realized that I still eat like a kid. At least the cereal is grown-up cereal.

Anonymous said...

You mean "Colon Blow" don't you.

Swany said...

Ah, yes. I knew somehow we'd get back to poop.

Dutch said...

I'll have you know that I've become a champion pooper, as has my brother. Our healthy bowel activity is about 1/4 of all our conversations. I actually get a sense of pride from it.