Saturday, January 5, 2008

The gems you can find when you least expect it...

Buried in the Netflix queue for awhile was Robert Altman's The Company, kind of a semi-fictional insider's look into the life of the Joffrey Ballet company of Chicago and its dancers.  The DVD finally made it's way to the top of the list and into my mailbox this week, so I gave it a peek this evening.  I'm not sure I really would recommend watching this film--it's feather light on plot, and unless you're really a ballet connoisseur, I'm not sure there's much else in this to keep you entertained.  I actually almost stopped it midway, but felt compelled to keep going.  I can't say I ever really got bored--it's just that sort of film that you almost have to be in the mood to watch.  And luckily I didn't hit stop because I would have missed what I think is one of the most beautiful and graceful scenes I've ever seen in a movie.  I'm not sure the YouTube version does it justice.  I'd almost recommend renting it just to watch this dance sequence, "White Widow":

No comments: