Saturday, January 19, 2008

Excuse me for a second. I need to throw up first before I write this review...


Back when The Blair Witch Project came out, I wasn't able to join it's cult fan base because I could never get through the entire movie without having to run out of the theater to vomit.  I'm sure it was good and scary, but the shaky handycam work made my eyes water, my head hurt, and my stomach really queazy.  Now with Cloverfield, the stylistic approach of the portable video camera is back.  I should have known better when I entered the theater with signs prominently warning that "Cloverfield may induce dizziness similar to that experienced on a roller coaster."  But then, I'm also lactose intolerant and that never stopped me from binging on a large scoop of Ben and Jerry's or a big bag of cheesy Cheetos.  I'll take a Lactaid pill for my milk indulgences and I'll take an Advil for this movie.  I followed the viral internet ad campaign, and coming from the creator of Lost and Alias, I'll be damned if I was going to let a little migraine get in the way of learning what in the world the puzzle was all about.  

Word from producer J.J. Abrams himself was that this was going to be a simple monster movie, a sort of Godzilla for the modern age.  And guess what?  That's exactly what it was.  No Lost-like puzzle.  No intricate Alias-sized plot.  For almost 90 minutes, we essentially watch a video tape found in Central Park in the aftermath of a disasterous event codenamed "Cloverfield" by the Department of Defense.  The tape begins with Rob and Beth during their post-coital day after their first night together.  We jump ahead since the cameraman forgot to change out the tape, and now we're at a farewell party for Rob, who's off to Japan for a new job.  In the midst of the party, all hell breaks loose in New York City, and the rest of the movie follows Rob and his friends running through the streets as a creature destroys the city.

In Japan, Godzilla was regarded as this allegorical representation of the fear of nuclear holocaust and destruction in the wake of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Cloverfield seems to be approaching those same fears, although instead of atomic bombs, New York City and the American public try to figure out how to live in a world after 9/11.  Buildings crumble and crowds of people run from the resulting dust cloud--it's as if the World Trade Center towers are falling again.  It's an interesting idea, and even though it's been six years since that dreadful day, I'm sure there will be debate as to whether this movie was made too early.

None of the people in this movie are known actors.  Although this relationship between Rob and Beth has a somewhat central role, it's the sense that they have a strong love for each other that's important in exploring our own feelings in the backdrop of a world falling apart around us rather than truly diving into what makes their relationship and characters tick.  The movie doesn't focus too much on the monster itself.  You only get glimpses and the occasional roar that echoes through the streets, which makes it all the more terrifying.   

And then there's the shaky homemade camera technique.  I think it's effective, keeping the movie feeling very real and moving along at a good pace.  But I just couldn't watch it.  I tried, but I couldn't.  I think it probably deserves to be "Cheesy."  In my current dizzy state and because I spent most of the movie with my eyes closed, unfortunately, I have to give it a "Bland." 

No comments: