Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I nearly committed a major faux pas this morning.

So, I'm pumping iron this a.m., and I see someone wearing a shirt emblazoned with the logo of my alma mater. She was a tall, built, black woman, and I was practicing a conversation in my head as I wanted to walk over and say hi. After the "hi" and "So you went to TCU?" in my imaginary conversation, I imagined that I said, "You must have been a basketball player."

Now of course, I'm thinking this primarily because she was tall and muscular, and probably a little because she was black (to be honest, if she were the same but white, I'd think basketball or volleyball - hey, stereotypes are hard to escape sometimes)

Regardless of how I meant it, that statement could have very well sounded like, "Oh, a black person at TCU. You must have gotten in on your athletic ability." Holy crap am I glad I thought that out before I said anything.

The end of this story is that I went back to my work out, but before I left I made sure to give her the sign and say "Go Frogs." She laughed politely.

She was pretty cute, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could have still talked to her, and just not have mentioned basketball.

Something like ... Hi, you must be Danish. Then you could have followed that with telling her you were a radio.

W.M. Scratch said...

So you are interested in sports when they involve attractive women? Can't say that I blame you.

Swany said...

Yeah, sometimes I'm a bit offended when people look at me and automatically start craving Cheetos.

As far as Wild Willie's comment, I can only imagine what pick-up line he used on his wife the first time they met back in the day.

Anonymous said...

It went something like

"Where are you from because that accent isn't from around here?"

Followed by

"Here, you want a braught for lunch? Psych, I just ate the last one but you can eat the last bun"

To which she did

Dutch said...

How the hell did you ever manage to go out with her?

Anonymous said...

I would say charming personality but we probably all know better than that. It was my extreme good looks and muscular body.