Friday, May 4, 2007

Movies, concerts, car trips, and now the museum.



All things I pretty much have to do by myself. The Museum of Fine Arts Houston is hosting the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection of 19th century French impressionist work through Sunday. I'm going Saturday, by myself. This, however, is not like going to a concert by myself (which I have yet to bring myself to do.) Even if it were, these are the original works of Cezanne, Monet, Van Gogh (Not French, I know, but his work is in the exhibit) - pretty much all of the impressionists and post-impressionists. Houston is the only place in North America these paintings will be shown on the tour, so I can see them now or wait until they get back to the Met and take a trip to NYC.

Now before you go and say, "maybe you could run into some girls there," I need to say that I bet it will be me and a bunch of old ladies. I actually am going to see the paintings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I would go with you if I were there, but instead my date tonight is going to consist of a nice meal out with Spiderman 3 as the dessert.

I will say that when I visited the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam that seeing the stuff in person is a world of difference from seeing pictures of the stuff. At the time I was unaware of why it was called impressionism, but thanks to my little english speaking headset I was able to learn quite a bit. If I remember correctly, impressionism is a painting of something this is actually in front of the painter. Correct me if I am wrong on this. I do know that this is how Van Gogh did his stuff. One of my favorites by him was a picture of a seashore with the wind blowing. My trusty little headset went on to explain to me that the wind was blowing so strongly that there was actual sand that had been blown into the painting, and I could actually see it. I thought that was pretty cool. Now that is a lot about a non-French impressionist, but I did get to see some of Cezanne's and Monet's works as well at the museum, and like I said it is worth it to see it in person.

And one last thing I should tell you. Maybe it was because it was Europe, but there were good looking single young women there. Keep your hopes up.

Dutch said...

Sand in the paint. That to me exemplifies why I want to see them. See, I call it 'listening to the dead,' because the really moving art is able to do more than communicate an idea, it can put you in the place of the artist; in another place, at another time, in another consciousness. It becomes (wait for it) an act of communion for me. This is also why I like reading. If the writer is skilled, you can experience what the writer describes, even if the experience was purely fictitious, and the writer dead for centuries.

It is truly the only real immortality.

Swany said...

Hey, Wild Willie. I never knew you went to Europe. When was that? And why were you looking at all the good looking single young women there? ;-)

Anywho, I'd expect there would be a few cute single ladies in the museum. Seems to be a perfect place to meet them for you Firecracker George. You figure, if they went to the trouble of going to the museum instead of the mall or some bar, they've probably got to be cultured, artistic, intelligent, and not too superficial.