Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Environmental thoughts in a global economy...

I may reveal my complete ignorance of the terms of the Kyoto Protocol with this post, but I'll share my thoughts anyway since this story made me think about the problems of environmental pollution in a slightly different way.

On my drive home from work, NPR ran a story about the unresolved problems with carbon emissions resulting from steel production. Quite a bit of carbon dioxide comes from the production of steel, and the explosion of high rise buildings in both the developed and developing world has created a huge environmental problem in ways not as obvious as one would think.

China is cornering the market on cheap steel by putting little to no restrictions on the amount of carbon emissions their factories can produce. Meanwhile, American steel mills will likely be forced out of the market due to higher costs of steel production once government environmental restrictions are put in place on domestic factories here in the U.S. The end result is a double whammy to both the U.S. economy and the environment. As China can provide a cheaper product, their factories will continue to boost production, creating even higher carbon emissions despite efforts to curb such pollution here in the U.S., and American factories will essentially be forced out of business.

Thinking in those terms, the Bush administration essentially pulling the United States out of the Kyoto Protocol by not submitting it to Congress for ratification, seems like a smart move if one is trying to preserve the U.S. economic interests both for big business and for the blue collar steel worker. If the end result is even more pollution and a weakened U.S. economy, what did we ever have to gain in ratifying this treaty? Am I missing something here?

3 comments:

Dutch said...

I don't know myself. I've heard criticism that the Kyoto treaty won't make much of a difference anyway, environmentally. Of course, this was from a normal biased opinion (as most are.)

My answer? Subsidize the cleanup costs for U.S. steel and make it illeagal to purchase Chinese steel for the U.S. and U.S. interests (i.e. - U.S. funded building projects in Iraq) until China adopts cleaner production practices.

I'm sounding like a real democrat here. Normally I would rather not legislate this kind of thing, but if left to a completely free-market economy I think the environment would take such a hit that we wouldn't be able to recover.

Anonymous said...

Another interesting topic involving steel is the brigde collapse in Oakland, CA. They do not even know when the thing can be fixed because they can't buy the steel for it. Which makes me think that they might already have some form of what Firecracker is talking about. They might already have restrictions on where steel comes from for governement built projects.

Oh, and I think that China will be the economic superpower in the short future - not the USA.

Swany said...

The global shortage of steel Wild Willie mentions is probably why China can do as they please. Demand for steel has become so high because of the boom in building projects all over the globe, I'm guessing no one can make it fast enough to keep up. Skyscraper projects in Dubai alone are so hot, in fact, they've gobbled up all the high-rise cranes in the world--even if someone could get the steel for their buildings, they'd have to wait to rent out those cranes before they could start to build them.

And I agree that China will be the economic superpower very, very soon barring some huge political uprising.