Thursday, December 21, 2006

Turkmenbashi kicks off.

Holy smokes! I knew that he was ill, but I don't know if anyone knew that he was near death. Who am I typing about? Why Saparmurat Niyazov, of course, the recently deceased former head of the communist party in Turkmenistan turned cult of personality dictator. Check it out here. First Pinochette croaks (although his rule ended long ago, and Spain and others who wanted to bring him to trial for his crimes against humanity have lost their opportunities. But hey, dead is dead.), now Niyazov, and Castro is on the ropes. That's most of them, except Kim Jong Il appears heathly (well physically, at least.)

2 comments:

Swany said...

I actually had no idea who Niyazov was, although as closed off as Turmenistan sounds like it is, I guess it's no surprise that his name got little exposure in the press. I guess unless you're threatening to build nukes, no one seems to care. I feel kind of like a shmuck for being lazy and not caring enough about the rest of the world to read up on some of the more obscure people and places that probably effect global politics a lot more than we realize.

Dutch said...

There's no need to feel like a schmuck. There are only 24 hours in a day, and only so much that you can give your attention to. I figure that you focus on yourself first - make sure that you are doing well. Then your family and friends. Then some entertainment, or whatever. What you have left, pick a "cause" and devote some attention and energy to it.

None of us can cover all the bases.