Thursday, December 21, 2006

And here I thought the whole Rosie O'Donnell ching-chong thing was blown out of proportion...

Seeing as it's that time of year for Top 10 lists, I give you the Top 10 Politically Correct Words of 2006. My favorites?

# 3, using herstory for history. This is funny when you think that the origin of the word history has absolutely nothing to do with gender. And it's even more humorous that the father of history was Herodotus.

#6 and the guy who thought to order "black coffee" was racist. Perhaps we should remove the word black from our lexicon completely, and instead use the phrase "absence of color."

#7, which asks to refer to us as Asian, not Oriental. Actually, I'm surprised this is just now getting on the 2006 list. My wife harps about this all the time, as she likes to say that she's a person, not a rug. Of course, this doesn't take into account that Asia has people of diverse appearance such as those from India or the Middle East that differ from the stereotypical Asians from the eastern side of the continent. And many older Asians in this country still refer to themselves as Oriental--they're so insensitive.

1 comment:

Dutch said...

Just a bit of trivia. The opposite of Oriental is Occidental.

I'm Occidental, and so is my carpet.