Thursday, December 7, 2006

A pedophile gets his due...


It's been awhile since I've stepped into a real live video store. We've been using Netflix for the past two years, but I guess since the DVDs seemed to be perched on top of the TV longer than they were ever in our DVD player, my wife finally canceled our account.

Anywho, I picked up this smaller movie that came out in the fall called Hard Candy. The movie's subject matter about a child predator and the teenager he picks up in a chat room online may discourage many of you from renting this, but this is quite a good, although very disturbing, psychological thriller. The film involves only two characters (including Ellen Page who was Kitty Pryde in X-Men 3), but manages to stay completely engrossing.

Despite the premise, there isn't any weird sexual scenes, nudity, or exploitation that would make you feel uncomfortable. It's really the whole psychological interplay between predator and prey that will make you squirm in your seat. I think to tell you more would ruin the film for you. Just give it a watch--it's good.

**** (out of *****)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is actually a good movie? I would think that a movie about sick creepy predators may be a tad distrubing. They should put the cybertipline.org site at the beginning and end of the show to create awareness about the site.

Swany said...

I did say it was disturbing. Very disturbing. Read the post.

And watch the movie before you make any judgements. There is a sick creepy predator in it. And as the title of my post eludes to, he gets what he deserves by the end.

And stop commenting on my blog if you're going to hide behind a shroud of anonymity without even exposing your Blogger profile. For all I know, I'm typing to a 12 year old, which sort of creeps me out.

The cybertipline.org advertising is a good idea, though.